12 Days of Blogging | Day 6: Phone Free

12 Days of Blogging | Day 6: Phone Free

Dependency.

I think I’ve gotten to the point where I care about my phone and people’s replies too much.  In fact, social media is starting to make me feel quite anxious.  I wouldn’t say I’m a “slave to social media” or anything, but given the path I’m on, it’s possible that I could get there.  Case in point: it is rare that you’ll see me without a phone in my hand.

You see, earlier today I went to see ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ in the cinema.  Personally, I found the movie quite slow and wasn’t particularly interested.  However, I also found myself counting down the minutes to when I could turn my phone on again.  And that really worried me.

Fixing the Problem…

II’ve realised recently that I spend too much time worrying about everyone else and thinking “No I have to check my phone, what if a friend is having a problem and I’m not there to deal with it?”, and not enough time worrying about how this time is affecting my mental health. should be able to focus on what I’m doing without worrying about someone needing me on my phone or thinking I’m ignoring them.  So, starting January I’m going to have 2 phone free hours a day, where my phone is switched off entirely and I allow myself to focus on me.

I feel like sometimes it’s best to just switch off the world around you and focus on yourself.  So, I’m going to give it a go, and take a small step back from technology.  At the end of January I plan to write a post revealing the effect that this had on my general well being, or whether it had any effect at all, so stay tuned!

Tell me what you think, I’d love to hear opinions

1. December 30, 2016 / 6:40 pm

Great idea. Sure your world won’t end without 2 hours of no phone. 🙂
    Is it that technology has made some too dependent on it, or is it the person that made his/her self too relying on technology?

• December 30, 2016 / 6:44 pm

Thank you! I honestly think the 2 hours will provide me with a lot more clarity.
      Honestly I’d say it’s more of a chain effect: we depend on technology because those around us depend on technology and we have fear of missing out… or at least I reckon that’s part of my reasoning haha

• December 30, 2016 / 6:48 pm

But missing out on what? Was life better when the phone wasn’t attached to it?
        All the best come this January.

• December 30, 2016 / 6:50 pm

I wouldn’t say life was necessarily better, but I think people who have a happy medium with the amount that they use their phone are generally more down to earth, so I’m hoping it will relax me.
          Will do a follow up post at the end of January saying how it goes if you’re interested in that x

• December 31, 2016 / 2:26 pm

Will check out end of January post.

2. December 30, 2016 / 8:51 pm

This is such an important thing to do: screen time can be incredibly toxic! Good for you – I look forward to hearing how it goes in another blog post 😉
    Viola xo | A Piece of Viola

• December 30, 2016 / 9:01 pm

Thank you!
      I am hoping this will be a step in the right direction for me in terms of mental well-being haha, I’ll let you know how it goes in January 😉
      Jas x

3. January 6, 2017 / 12:46 am

I feel exactly the same! Since I decided to start the blog and do the whole Twitter thing I’ve felt quite anxious too, especially when I lose a follower!
    I’d also resolved to switch my phone off for one hour a day (can’t commit to 2 just yet :P) and focus on reading or colouring or something. I haven’t done it yet though… Maybe next week! Haha 🙂 I hope it goes well for you!

• January 6, 2017 / 12:49 am

Yeah, I feel like the whole unfollowing thing has a massive impact on my anxiety! It’s been working well so far, I’m planning on making a post at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb to say how it goes so stay tuned!

• January 13, 2017 / 4:37 pm

Sorry I thought I’d replied to this the other day!
        Yeah the anxiety thing really sucks to the point where some days I’m like “maybe I should just quit” but other days I am so pleased with my blog and Twitter engagement (and just comments from friends and family too!) that I am so glad I stuck with it. When I get a wave of new Twitter followers it makes those single unfollowers seem so insignificant; I’m sure it must me the same for you and everyone else on Twitter because I think it’s largely random companies who just want you to follow back who do unfollow, but then you get the good followers who actually engage and make you feel so happy to be part of the community!
        You’ll do a fab job with your blog! Yours is already one of my faves ;D It’s so worth fighting through the anxiety and going with it! I will definitely stay tuned! 🙂
        Sorry I’ve rambled on a bit here! Hope you’re having a good day!
        Lozzy x