I’m turning 20 this year. I mean, it’s only January and my birthday isn’t until September, but it’s still weird to think about. I feel like 20 is the age you finally must accept that you’re a (young) adult. However, I don’t feel anywhere near the age of “adulthood”.
Typically, adults are seen to have their life together and a sense of direction. To say that I had either of those right now would be pushing it. Therefore, I thought that before I reach this next decade, I would give myself some direction. Below are 20 things I want to do before I turn 20. This is going to be a series on my blog called 20 before 20, in which I’ll write about every time I complete one of these and how it’s helped me.
- Reach 70 subscribers on this blog… Yeah it may seem a little ambitious but I figured hey that’s what goals are for! If by September I have 70 people regularly reading my words, I’ll be more than happy.
- Do a collab with another blogger… Based on the number of other blogs I’ve read, it feels like you’re not a proper part of this community until you’ve collaborated with another blogger. It would be nice to make some “blogging friends” and give this a go, so if anyone’s up for this send me a message
- Guest write on another blog… I like challenging myself, and giving myself different platforms/ tailored topics to write about, so it would be great to be able to write on another blog and see how that goes.
- Do something worthwhile that helps someone with this blog… I want to be able to make a difference in some way… Haven’t figured out how yet, but I’ll get there.
- Drink at least 6 glasses of water a day… I’m actually pretty good when it comes to drinking water, it’s actually my usual drink of choice, but I want to make an effort to drink it more regularly and see if it really helps with skin and hair.
- Go to the gym at least twice a week… Again, I already go to the gym, but it’s very irregular: some weeks I’ll go five times and some weeks I won’t go at all. In an effort to get fitter in 2017 (not necessarily lose weight, but be healthier) I want to make this more regular.
- Have at least one piece of fruit or veg with every meal… I feel like all these health things are very repetitive… I eat quite a bit of fruit and veg, but I want to make it more regular as part of an effort to generally be healthier this year.
- Get back to enjoying learning… Although my first term at Uni has been fun, I haven’t exactly loved my topics and I feel like I’ve been working for the sake of working. This term I have more of my optional units and less of the compulsory ones, so now is the time to get back to actually loving the knowledge I’m acquiring.
- Read 10 books for fun… I am an English Student. I read all the time. However, with reading being such a large part of my degree, the fun of it is lost. My goal is to have read 10 books that I actually want to read by September (Please send me book suggestions, I don’t even know where to start).
- Read ahead for my courses… I’m organised to the point where I get my work done on time, but I want to push that further. This year I want to buy into the myth that is “pre-reading” and see if it helps me as I’m not the quickest learner.
- Be on top of revision… I always have the same pattern – start the year off well and take notes as I go, then 2 weeks in I stop with that and cram just before my exams. This year, I want to try and get it right.
- Have a concrete night routine… I’m pretty good with skincare… when I remember. By September I will have enforced a skincare routine before bed to the point where it becomes a habit. This year I’m really going to look after my skin.
- Wear skirts/dresses more… I love skirts and dresses and I always feel more put together in them, but it’s so easy to revert to jeans and T-shirts because I feel like I don’t have the time for skirts. By 20 I will be better at outfit planning.
- Find my style… This is something I’ve been working on for the past couple years, and I plan to continue. I’m slowly finding my style and what works for me, but I want to be sure of this by 20.
- Sing more (maybe even publicly?)… I love singing, but I also have bad stage fright and little self-confidence. However, I am slowly growing in confidence, so I want to make more of this while I can.
- Get back to song writing… This was something that used to soothe me a lot, and I’ve been watching a lot of youtubers who sing original songs recently (really loving Dodie at the moment) so I’ve been pretty inspired to get back to it.
- Start writing a book… I think I mentioned in my first post on this site that from the age of 6 to about 13/14 my dream was to be an author. I used to write all the time, and I really miss it. I’ll tell you how far I get by September.
- Visit winter wonderland… I live in London, it shouldn’t be that hard! But I love Christmas and I’ve never been and every year I say it will be the year. With a September birthday I technically can’t do it before I turn 20, but I plan to do it as soon as I can afterwards.
- Visit a country I’ve never been to before… I love travelling, and I used to travel everywhere when I was younger, but recently with more commitments and less money it hasn’t been as easy. By September I hope to have been to a country I’ve never visited.
- See 2 more musicals… I’m a bit of a musical junky, I’ve seen quite a few in theatre (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, Hairspray, Wicked like 3 times, 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, The Bodyguard, Memphis, and so so many more) but this year I want to add to the collection, so the goal is 2 more before I turn 20.
This was a little longer than my other entries. However, I feel like 20 is quite a bit of a milestone, being the end of my second decade of life and all. As I said, I’m going to turn this into a 20 Before 20 series, and will post every time I complete one. Let’s see if I can get all 20 (technically 19 because of Winter Wonderland) by September!
Wish me luck!
Lots of love,