Phone Free Update

Phone Free Update

At the end of December I talked about how much my life has come to revolve around my phone and how that desperately needed to change.  In a post entitled ‘Phone Free’ (which you can find here) I declared that every day until the end of January I would switch my phone off for 2 hours each day and see if it improved my anxiety and my overall mental well-being.  As promised in that post, here is my end of the month update…
I’m not going to lie… it started off being quite a difficult task, but not for the reasons that I expected.  This little experiment made me realise that as a people pleaser, disappearing for 2 hours left me worried that somebody would need me and then hate me for not being around.  However, I slowly began to realise that being unable to contact for a couple of hours is not going to do anyone any harm.  My closest friends know that I’ll always be there for them, and me not replying for a couple of hours is not going to destroy the foundation of friendship we already have, my friends understand I have a life, because they do to… but I tend to forget this.
I think one noticeable difference with this whole thing was the fact that I was more productive; I began filling my time with things to do to distract myself from the fact that I couldn’t use my phone.  I wrote and scheduled blog posts, revised more for my exams, went to the gym a lot more, went out with friends a lot, tried Pilates, even got back into writing a little.  Sometimes I ignore the world around me because I’m too focused on the screen in front of me, but those 2 hours a day brought me back to reality, which I think I really needed.
Thanks to this month of making an effort to spend less time on my phone, I genuinely feel a lot less dependent on it.  When I go out somewhere I find myself checking my phone less, and when I’m sitting in my room doing work it doesn’t have to be by my side.  I went to go see La La Land in cinema the other day (you can read my thoughts on it here if you want to) and I didn’t think about my phone once.  Even after the movie I didn’t rush to check it… and that’s a big step for me.  I used to use my phone a lot as a crutch, but proving I can spend 2 straight hours away from it everyday proved that I don’t need that crutch, I can stand on my own.
Would I do this again?  I don’t think I need to.  I needed this month to remember that my phone is not attached to me, but now that I’ve done it I feel so much more free.  I can now distance myself from my phone voluntarily, without having to set a timer and switch it off.  This month got me into some new habits phone-wise, and I really needed that.  If you, like me, have a problem with putting your phone down and it’s starting to make you feel a little anxious, I highly recommend trying this out!  It may be hard at first, but you will ultimately feel better for it.
Thanks for reading, would love to hear your opinions in the comments!

1. January 31, 2017 / 5:31 pm

Love this idea! Think I really need to try it, I’ve noticed recently that I’ve definitely become over-dependant on my phone and I’d rather be living in the real world than online.
    Thanks for the inspiration Jas!
    Anna xx

• January 31, 2017 / 5:48 pm

Awwwww thanks Hun! Honestly I strongly recommend it, i was so dependent and that’s become easier now!

2. January 31, 2017 / 5:51 pm

This is definitely something I need to do! Thank you for sharing your experience!

• January 31, 2017 / 6:02 pm

Awwwww thank you for reading and taking an interest! I would definitely recommend it

3. February 1, 2017 / 4:04 am

I kinda love this! Might make it a daily goal for February to have 2 hours phone free!

• February 1, 2017 / 9:32 am

Thank you! It was really beneficial, I definitely recommend giving it a go!

4. February 1, 2017 / 5:02 pm

I loved your original post on this topic, and I love this one as well. I remember having the same conversation with my partner about how we need to use our phones less. I can’t believe how long it’s been since we last talked about it. Since then I’ve definitely put my foot down more on us leaving our phones on the bed side table in the evenings. We keep them on purely incase of emergency’s, but when it comes to scrolling through social media we’ve cut down drastically!
    I’m pleased to hear you have also made some changes to your routine, as I agree it can be so easy to have the world go by when looking at a screen.
    Alys

• February 2, 2017 / 2:08 am

Yeah! I do think as a society we spend more time on our phones than we should, so it’s lovely to have a little time away from it once in a while. Glad it’s worked for you too!

5. February 1, 2017 / 7:35 pm

This is such a good idea and something I should do. I am a bit of a nightmare with my phone and could really do with some more productive hours in my day. I am glad it’s made you feel less dependent on it and i’m going to have a serious think about giving this a go 🙂

• February 2, 2017 / 2:07 am

Thank you! Honestly I was the exact same way, it made me so much more productive and a lot more free so I strongly recommend!

6. February 3, 2017 / 5:38 pm

First let me apologize for not coming back and checking your progress. Even though it was marked to do so, I’m presently having computer and internet problems.
    With that said, I’m proud of you taking on this challenge and because of it “discovering” that life goes on without constantly being connected.
    In my opinion there are a lot of people who need to do this challenge. Being over reliant on tech isn’t a good thing. Maybe you should throw down this challenge on twitter or something and have others tweet their experiences.
    Congrats. 🙂

• February 3, 2017 / 5:45 pm

Thank you! It was much needed and I’m proud of the results. I like the idea of taking it to twitter, may give that a go!

7. February 5, 2017 / 2:46 pm

I think might need to take a leaf from.yoyr book!!! It’s easy to get too attached to this phone which has become key to our lives nowadays!

• February 5, 2017 / 3:10 pm

Would definitely recommend it! It’s so easy to get swept up in our phones, especially in the world of blogging!

• February 5, 2017 / 3:11 pm

Oh goodness I know!!! I have to fight with myself to.not look at it first thing in the morning. My hubby thinks I’m addicted lol!

8. February 5, 2017 / 3:48 pm

I don’t have a phone and you’ve made a good case for me to continue to live without one. I’m more than a little addicted to my laptop, though, but it has to stay behind when I go out.

9. February 5, 2017 / 3:53 pm

What a great goal! I for sure need to try this. Thanks so much for sharing!

• February 5, 2017 / 4:35 pm

Thank you for reading! It was really liberating, definitely give it a go!

10. February 5, 2017 / 4:43 pm

I’ve done something similar before, but never for a whole month! Thanks for sharing your experience, and for the reminder that my phone shouldn’t be so high up on my “need to live” list! 🙂

• February 5, 2017 / 4:57 pm

Haha no problem, it was a tough month but I’m proud of myself getting through it! Thanks so much for reading and I’m glad you enjoyed it!

11. February 5, 2017 / 8:05 pm

Great post! This is something I really really need to try. 👍🏻

12. February 6, 2017 / 1:09 am

A timely post Jas, My latest post tells the story of how I’m glad I had my phone with me in a locked in the loo scenario!

13. February 10, 2017 / 1:01 am

This is a great idea! Being in a long distance relationship, my phone is like my other half haha, but I could definitely leave my phone alone for two hours when he’s at work, or asleep! I might have to give this a go.. I can end up just watching youtube videos, or on Covet Fashion for ages and lose track of time lol! x

• February 10, 2017 / 1:03 am

Haha I’m in a long distance relationship too so I know what you mean about relying on your phone more!