"But You Don't Have My Problems!"

"But You Don't Have My Problems!"

“You just don’t understand!”

“You don’t get what it’s like being me!”

“You don’t have the problems that I do!”

Though all of these statements can be true in their own respects, they can be some of the most annoying statements to hear.
Yes, we’re all unique, and although we’ve been taught from a young age that you should “walk a mile in somebody else’s shoes”, we know that in life this isn’t always possible, and you’re never going to understand exactly what somebody else is going through.  However, that being said I have a real issue with people lashing out at others because “they don’t know what they’re going through”.
Somehow, we’ve come to live in a world where sharing your thoughts and feelings is considered “weird” and “overemotional”, so finding someone you can open up to with your problems is hard enough as it is.  The great thing about friendship is that you can bounce off of each other; you’re able to tell them your issues, and they’re able to do the same.  However, the problem arises when someone lashes out and you’re hit with a “but you don’t have my problems!”
You see, the issue here is that, though you may feel that you are dealing with something of more importance than your friends or family, there is absolutely no reason to belittle and demean somebody else’s issues at the expense of your own.  I understand that when looking at “the bigger picture” your issues could be on a much larger scale than your friends, (for instance, you could be dealing with a loss in your family and they could be stressing over a job they got rejected from) but that still doesn’t give you the right to act like their problems don’t matter.
You see, everyone deals with their emotions differently.  Nowadays we know more about mental health and we should know that people process different “levels” of problems in different ways.  Your friend probably even understands that their issue is not on the same scale as yours, but at the end of the day, they still have an issue and they have trusted YOU enough to talk to about it.  Do.  Not.  Take.  That.  For.  Granted.
To imply that your problem/problems are of greater importance than theirs is essentially your way of telling them that their problems, and consequently themselves, don’t matter as much as you and your issues, and that’s an awfully horrible feeling to push upon your friends.  People don’t even realise they’re doing it most of the time, I mean, I’ve probably (most definitely) done it multiple times before, but it’s something that needs to stop ASAP.  We all go through roller-coasters of emotions and it’s hard enough building up the courage to talk to people about your problems but throwing around phrases like the ones above only have negative impacts on those who receive them.  You have the possibility of making those who thought they could trust you to comfort them see themselves as burdens through your eyes, and before you know it they’re back to feeling like they have to keep all their feelings bottled up.  (Which, by the way, nobody should do.  Ever.  It’s super unhealthy.)
I guess, what this rant was trying to say is that everybody’s problems matter, regardless of the size or severity of them, so be careful next time you go to snub someone else’s problem because you see yours as superior.  It’s hard enough not feeling like a burden when you go to someone else for support… don’t add to the problem.
Hope this was insightful, please share your thoughts with me in the comments!

1. March 15, 2017 / 4:18 pm

Oh girl! You’ve hit it on the nail. In this day and age some, if I can say a lot of “emotions” are irrational and unhealthy. I’m so happy to hear common sense still exist (can I rant?!) lol haha but I totally agree with this post. Sometimes we get so selfish and think we’re so consumed by our problems that anything anyone else says is selfish on their part. Which isn’t true, it’s jut an exchanging of trust and friendship. Great read.

• March 15, 2017 / 4:20 pm

Awwww thank you so much! And feel free to rant away haha this whole post was essentially me getting that rant out of my system!

• March 15, 2017 / 4:22 pm

Aw lol thank you, You’re welcome! Thanks for sharing with us.💕

2. March 15, 2017 / 4:38 pm

I think the biggest annoyance for me (which, thankfully, hasn’t come up much at all) is when someone’s like, “You have no idea what it’s like!” That’s a pretty big assumption. Even between folks who are very close, it’s always quite possible that you don’t know absolutely everything that someone else has gone through, so assuming that they can’t possibly know how you feel is pretty awful on its own.

• March 15, 2017 / 4:39 pm

Yes, I completely relate to this! It’s horrible when people assume that you can’t possibly relate to everything that they’ve gone through. Although everyone experiences life differently you never know how similar your experiences can be.

3. March 15, 2017 / 4:58 pm

Another great post Jasmine, and so well written too. I definitely agree, we all have our struggles and no matter the size or severity, they’re all real problems, even if some may consider them more trivial than others and when we share our problems we should be met with support and a kind ear, even if we’re struggling with things ourselves. I’ve always found that sharing a problem with a close friend or family member can be beneficial as usually someone very close to me is experiencing something similar, and we’ve been able to offer support and guidance, but it is very disheartening when we pour our emotions out and are met with someone telling us our problems aren’t that bad, or it could be worse, so you really hit the nail on the head there with your final paragraph, so thank you, great post! – Tasha

• March 15, 2017 / 4:59 pm

Thanks so much Tasha! Couldn’t agree with what you said more, glad you enjoyed it!

• March 16, 2017 / 2:23 pm

You’re more than welcome! <3

4. March 16, 2017 / 8:20 am

I agree with you, but certain situations are different. For example, my friends and I are dealing with a friend that likes exaggerating her issues and saying she has all these different mental health issues when she clearly doesn’t. So in this situation, I can’t agree with you! But with any other situation I would

• March 16, 2017 / 9:16 am

Yeah it’s true every situation is different, however we must try to remember that different people are affected by things in different ways than we are. That being said, I don’t know your friend so I can’t say whether she falls under this haha

• March 16, 2017 / 4:34 pm

Yeah, I’m not too sure she does too! That’s just something I’ll have to figure out. Thank you for writing this post, It’s something I’d never thought would be addressed and it’s so good it was🙂

5. March 16, 2017 / 3:56 pm

I literally couldn’t have said it better myself, it’s like one big compertition on who’s problems are the worse! Just because you’re problems aren’t as ‘big’ as someone else’s it doesn’t mean they don’t count or are not important🙄 Absolutely love this post chick!!
    Clo

• March 16, 2017 / 7:07 pm

Thank you for reading it Hun! Exactly, people make out as if having problems is all some sort of competition – a behaviour that needs to stop!

6. March 19, 2017 / 9:23 am

This is so true! Everyone’s experiences are different, and each person’s problems are the biggest to them. Kindness and compassion go a long long way in interpersonal relationships, I’ve found.

• March 19, 2017 / 9:24 am

Exactly! You never know how other people will react to a problem, we’re all very different. Kindness and compassion are so so important!

7. March 19, 2017 / 9:25 am

Love this Jasmine. You’re right we all have issues. Some bigger than others but each issue is a big deal to that individual dealing with it. . We have to respect that x

8. March 19, 2017 / 9:44 am

I totally agree with you….. we all have issues we are dealing with and should also respect other people’s issues…no one’s problem should be termed bigger than the other….I wrote a post recently listing this as one of the things we do that leaves a bad impression

• March 19, 2017 / 9:56 am

We really do! And oooo I’ll check out your post later, sounds interesting 😉

9. March 19, 2017 / 9:51 am

A good post I agree with you on a lot of these things.

• March 19, 2017 / 2:23 pm

Thank you, I’ll have a listen to that TEDtalk later!