Living in the Moment (and a Social Media Rant)

Living in the Moment (and a Social Media Rant)

So (though it may not seem like it because I had a post scheduled for Tuesday) I took a little break from blogging this week… My brain was feeling a little overworked and I’m home for the holidays so I wanted to spend a little time focusing on having fun with my friends and spending less time on my computer (and social media, believe it or not).  Nevertheless I’m back and feeling a lot less blocked, brain wise, however the break really got me thinking about what it really means to “live in the moment”.
You see, I’m a lover of taking pictures wherever I go.  I have a fear of losing the memories I make and every picture I take is a little frozen reminder of what I’ve been up to.  I have countless snapchats and selfies and pictures stuck up on my Uni wall or in my scrapbook to remember these years as they whizz past… However, I feel like if you spend too much time seeing life through your lens you detach yourself from what’s actually going on around you.
Don’t get me wrong, I love taking pictures and I will continue to take pictures because they end up being priceless momentos, but I see people do nothing but take selfies and concentrate so hard on showing others that they’re having a good time that they end up missing out on the good time they could be having.  It’s so easy to look at someones picture on snapchat, Instagram or Facebook and feel like you’re missing out on something spectacular, trust me I’ve been there, but the reality is Social Media is essentially each persons highlight reel.  You see their good times, their plastered smiles and their social gatherings… You rarely see them dressed as a slob, un-showered, sitting around their house doing nothing.
We spend so much time fixating on social media profiles, feeling inferior because we’re not as well-dressed or we don’t have as many friends or get as many likes but it’s all essentially a facade.  Don’t get me wrong, I have no issue with Social Media, I love posting fun times with my friends or carefully taken selfies to Instagram, but at the end of the day, the pictures I post have been carefully selected out of hundreds, taken with good lighting and angles and filters.  Yes, I can look back at them and draw on specific moments in my life and smile but that doesn’t make my life any better or worse than anyone elses.  Everybody has these moments, but no ones online profile is an accurate reflection of their whole life.  And we all need to remember that.
I’m not gonna stop taking pictures (and occasionally posting them online), and I’m not saying others should either, but if you’re taking selfies every moment you’re gonna miss out on actually having fun.  Capture memories, but remember to make them too.
I feel like my posts have been quite rambley recently, sorry!  But hey, word vomit ensues when I speak from the heart… Hope you enjoyed it, I should be back to posting Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays!

1. April 16, 2017 / 9:44 am

I’m a photo freak too!and I feel like you do..it can seperate us from life…but sometimes that’s useful…and it helps me pay attention. I find sketching things is good for making me really see things…anyway…ramble away!Its nice to see a vomitous post from the heart πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

• April 16, 2017 / 9:54 am

It’s true, sometimes the separation is useful for focusing! Ooo it’s interesting that sketching can bring you back into the moment!

• April 16, 2017 / 9:58 am

It really does..though I have to push myself to do it..the camera is so much easier πŸ™‚

2. noellekelly
    April 16, 2017 / 10:09 am

I totally get this! I’m all about living in the moment, especially if it’s food or music. I just enjoy it and leave the phone alone πŸ™‚

3. April 16, 2017 / 11:10 am

This post really resonated with me. I definitely get a case of ‘the grass is greener’ jealousy – especially from some of the people I follow on Instagram! Great post!

• April 16, 2017 / 11:12 am

It’s so easy to fall jealous of other people’s instagrams, glad this resonated with you!

4. April 16, 2017 / 11:44 am

So true! Although sometimes I’m the other way round and become the world’s worst blogger when I realise I’ve taken no photos cos I’m too busy having fun…luckily I know which one is most important πŸ˜€

• April 16, 2017 / 11:45 am

I understand that, I have those moments where I come away upset that I have no photo memories, but hey at least we enjoy things πŸ˜‰

5. collegeceliackc
    April 16, 2017 / 4:24 pm

It’s always important to view social media photos with a grain of salt. Personally, my best friend is one of “those girls” whose life looks perfect on social media. However, she’s in pain everyday due to multiple chronic illnesses. There’s so much a photo can’t capture – about a person’s life or just moments that are better experienced than documented…

• April 16, 2017 / 4:45 pm

Couldn’t have said it better myself, we have to be able to look at them and remember that life through a lens isn’t always an accurate representation

6. April 17, 2017 / 10:03 pm

I totally agree. Someone said the other day at the gym, a woman came in, took a selfie in her gym kit by some gym equipment & promptly left again without working out. W.T.F.

• April 17, 2017 / 10:07 pm

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ gym selfies always make me laugh because I always wonder whether the person has actually worked out or not. Based on what you’ve seen, apparently not everyone does…