Project 2017 | Why I'll Never Be Perfect

Project 2017 | Why I'll Never Be Perfect

I am 5″3/4, can be wildly unorganised, if I don’t leave my house (or have people round) odds are I probably won’t shower, and I’m far from average on a loooot of things (height, weight and sporting ability to name a few).  I’m never going to be perfect, or even close to perfect, and that’s okay.
I’ve written posts on insecurity and body confidence and detailed my issues with body image on this blog, but I think a lot of these issues stemmed from the fact that I grew up being a massive perfectionist.
I feel like the majority of us are brought up, whether it be through school or family (mostly school in my case) believing in this idea of perfection; aiming for the perfect 100% in tests and perfect attendance (I never even came close), and handwriting and presentation.  Once the idea of perfection is in your head, it ends up being something you believe exists in everyday life… I wanted the perfect body, the perfect personality, the perfect clothes, the perfect hair and it slowly drove me to some very dangerous places mentally.
There’s nothing wrong with trying to be the best you can be, but that’s the thing, it’s got to be the best YOU, personally, can be.  Every single one of us is different and we’re all given different strengths and weaknesses.  Some are lucky to find these very early on in life, and some find it way into their later years, it’s all very relative.  I’m never going to be the skinniest or the prettiest, or the image I see in my head as “perfect”, but that’s okay.  What I am going to be is braver, and more determined and more in tune with myself, and what I need in life.
It’s so easy to feel like you’re underachieving and not good at anything, but when that happens we need to focus on the positives.  Find the things that you are good at, focus on what you’re doing well.  Set yourself vague, achievable but still challenging goals like “focusing on yourself” or “conquering a fear”.
I’m not perfect.  I’m never going to be.  None of us are, and that’s okay.  However, we can work hard to be the best versions of ourselves, and if you ask me that’s way more important.
Hope you enjoyed my mindless rambling… I’m quite liking writing posts like this at the moment.  Feel free to engage in discussion in the comments!

1. April 17, 2017 / 10:30 am

I do get where you are coming from. I too am a complete perfectionist and have to be so careful to not let that take me over. Have to keep reigning myself in on occasion. Love the fact that you’re so honest and open I really admire you for that.

• April 17, 2017 / 10:33 am

Thank you! I’m trying to be open and honest on my blog as it’s my outlet so I’m glad that’s coming across!

2. April 17, 2017 / 2:45 pm

This was a great read! When we feed ourselves a lot of what the media tells us, we often times begin to love ourselves less and love their lies more. But it’s good to be at a place of peace where you know your standard of happiness/perfection.

• April 17, 2017 / 4:01 pm

Thank you so much! It’s so hard to stray from the medias perception of perfection, but we have to take everything with a pinch of salt!

3. April 17, 2017 / 3:21 pm

What an amazing post. Couldn’t agree more. I’ve been guilty of trying to be perfect and pushing myself to hard, to the point of being mentally ill. Perfection is an illusion. xx

• April 17, 2017 / 4:12 pm

Thank you so much! I did the exact same thing, and still do from time to time but I’m trying to remember that there is no such thing as perfect!
      Jas cx

4. April 17, 2017 / 4:00 pm

Yes, yes, yes! We’re constantly force fed this unrealistic ideal of “perfection” when it doesn’t even exist. The sooner we realise that, the happier we will be and how BORING would it be if everyone WAS perfect?!

• April 17, 2017 / 4:13 pm

Exactly! It would be so boring if everyone was perfect, we need to remember that! It’s so much more interesting being different

5. April 17, 2017 / 5:40 pm

I think the easiest way would be to define your own perfect because truthfully we can never all fit in one box

• April 17, 2017 / 5:48 pm

It’s so true defining your own perfect is the way forward!

• April 23, 2017 / 8:36 pm

Thank you! It honestly is, imperfections are far more interesting 😉