My Thoughts On Time…

My Thoughts On Time…

I feel like now that I’m in Uni I can really feel myself moving towards adulthood, and in short… it terrifies me.
You see, the older I get the more I realise how quickly time seems to be passing; I feel like 2017 just started and yet here we are, mid April, 4 months into the year.  I’m studying and socialising but sometimes I feel like I get stuck in ruts where I just move, lifelessly from day to day and let my life move on without fully basking in the moment.  You see, whenever people used to tell me “You’re only young once” I just kind of brushed it off, but here I am, almost in my twenties, a mere few years away from having to dive into the world of work… a world I’ll then be in til retirement.
I have 3, possibly 2 summer holidays left in my lifetime… Limited years left before people stop excusing my mistakes because “I couldn’t know any better”, and, (although I know my parents will always be there for me), only a few years before relying on them is no longer socially acceptable.  I hear about people my age moving in with their partners or already being in the world of work and at first I’m like “What? They’re too young!”, but in reality they really aren’t… we’re adults now.  It’s just so weird thinking that the people I used to consider fully grown adults were the age that I am now… still a big child.
My biggest fear has always been death, but at the moment time is becoming a real contender.  I’m so scared of squandering these few years of childhood that I have left.  At the moment I crave adventure: I want to travel the world, have new experiences that excite me, do crazy, silly, spontaneous things with no regret, before I have a career and (even more) bills tying me down.
One of the quotes that’s really been resonating with me recently is:

“In life, you regret the things you didn’t do, rather than the things that you did.”

And honestly, I really believe that.  I’m so desperate to take chances and make memories and live as many days to the full as I can.  If I have a dream, I want to see if I can achieve it, instead of looking back on it one day with regret.
Hey, nothing like the impending feeling of death and ageing to motivate you…
Hope you enjoyed this small quarter life crisis haha, just something that’s been floating around my mind recently.  Have you ever felt like this/have your own opinions on time?  Would love to hear them in the comments!

1. April 19, 2017 / 8:58 pm

Ahh you’ve plenty of years in you yet, ffs, you’re still a bairn by most of our standards lol
    You’ll find as you get older you won’t feel that much different. I’m in my 40’s and feel nothing like an adult most days. You will have many years to make many memories, so never worry. All the things will happen just when they were went to.
    I look forward to seeing what you had to say at your mid life crisis……if I am still around lol

• April 19, 2017 / 9:27 pm

😂😂 thank you! I have no doubt that my crisises will only get worse, thanks for the encouragement though! And I’m starting to believe that “adulthood” is a myth 😉

2. April 19, 2017 / 8:59 pm

Just when they were meant to, not went to. See that’s once thing does get worse as you get older, your ability to type. My advice, by pencil and paper 😉

3. enyiie
    April 20, 2017 / 9:09 am

Hi Jas!
    I sort of feel like this too! I’m turning 20 next month and times flies so fast! Can’t believe its April already. There’s nothing we can really do other than just make the most of today and the present – if we do all the things we want to and take every opportunity we get then there’s nothing left to regret. Good luck with chasing your dreams! 🙂
    Enyiie

• April 20, 2017 / 9:11 am

True words, we have to make the most of the present! Good luck with chasing your dreams too!

4. April 20, 2017 / 4:55 pm

This is actually a really lovely post. It’s great to hear you’re so full of dreams & a desire for adventure. I bloody loved being 19. It is a fantastic age, so warming to hear you’re enjoying it whilst giving thought to your future. I agree with Eejit though. Am also in my 40s & still don’t quite feel like a grown up. Definitely hold on to those childlike feelings. As I’ve got older, I’ve learnt we’re all just kids who have grown up too fast (I saw that quote on a poster, so I can’t take credit for it ha) x

• April 20, 2017 / 6:09 pm

Thank you, I’m really loving being 19, hoping to hold onto it as long as possible haha. I love that quote!

5. April 21, 2017 / 3:13 pm

I’m in the same exact boat as you. I turned 18 a couple months ago and I’m in uni and I feel like adulthood is hitting me full force. I have no idea what I’m doing at any point and it does feel like everyone else has it together, but I don’t think they actually have it together. It’s okay to be confused.

• April 21, 2017 / 3:21 pm

Awwww glad you relate, I feel like we’re all just pretending to have it together 😉

6. April 23, 2017 / 10:22 am

Have no fear! Spend your time having fun not worrying :). I turn 26 this year…after winging it a bit and a bit of luck I have made it into adulthood. I get paid peanuts, and got a mortgage and bills to pay, but still mange to travel a bit and do the things you’re worried about not being able to do anymore. There is always a way, don’t worry. I may be an adult, but that doesn’t mean I have to act like one 😉

• April 23, 2017 / 3:36 pm

Thank you, this was very reassuring, I’m hoping I can still do everything! Love that last sentence as well, we never have to act like adults 😉

7. April 23, 2017 / 10:28 am

I’m a couple of decades on from you, back in college and loving it….just about to leave again and full of anxiety about it too but you know what? …you just don’t know whats ahead 🙂

• April 23, 2017 / 3:35 pm

So true! You never know what’s ahead, Im sure we both have loads to look forward too 😉

8. noellekelly
    April 23, 2017 / 11:26 am

You’re young yet, don’t worry, be happy. I still feel young and immature. I think I will forever 🙂

9. October 27, 2017 / 6:29 pm

I had this exact meltdown in my final year of uni, don’t worry sweetie, things are still great xx

• October 28, 2017 / 9:10 am

Thank you! I’m trying to be a lot calmer about it haha