"But What do You Plan to do After Uni?"

"But What do You Plan to do After Uni?"

I feel like my life so far has been a series of stepping stones: Completing primary school so I could learn the basics for secondary school, doing GCSE’s so I could get the qualifications to get into A Level classes, and getting good A Level results so I could get the qualifications so I could make it to University.  Now here I am, 19 years into my life clutching onto my notes on Descartes, convincing myself that I’m in University and therefore I am on my way to some amazing career… Except I have absolutely no idea how to get to that career step.
They say that over time people find their passions and realise what direction they’re headed for in life; people go to University with aspirations of becoming doctors, lawyers, physicians, researchers… the list goes on.  I went to University knowing nothing except for the fact that an English and Philosophy degree leads people to thinking that you want to be a librarian or a teacher… I in fact want to be neither of those.
I have frequently been reminded how competitive the job market is and how I essentially need 5 years of work experience in order to apply for entry level work experience positions in the first place.  We need internships, volunteering, part time jobs that will impress future employers, as well as high grades and extra-curricular activities… And this is all well and good, but where do you start with any of this when you don’t know what you want to do with your life?  Don’t get me wrong, I know that I want to write, I just don’t know in what capacity, and from what I’ve been told most writing careers are either ridiculously unstable or incredibly catty.
I’ve always been a creative child; I was sitting my parents down and making them listen to the stories I’d written since I was six years old.  For a lot of children, it’s a phase, but writing was something that I never grew out of.  In an ideal world, you should be able to do make a living out of doing what you love but it seems that in these tough times the majority settle for any job they can get their hands on that will provide them with a stable income.  There’s nothing wrong with stability; in fact, it’s incredibly beneficial for our sanity, and managing to secure any sort of graduate job in your preferred field is a big deal nowadays.
However, my goal, by the time I finish University is to find a job that I love (What can I say? I can be hopelessly idealistic from time to time).  The road to finding a career is rocky and seemingly impossible, but I like to believe that it’s still possible if you try hard enough.
So, what do I want to do after University?
I don’t know yet.  But whatever it is, you bet it’s going to be something that I love doing.
This was rambly and ranty and has been in my drafts box for ages but hey thought I’d get a little personal… Do you know what you want to do with your life yet? Tell me in the comments!

1. May 14, 2017 / 11:53 am

Even though you kinda know whstbyou want to do… it’s hard… I graduated and spent 6 months not knowing what to do! I worked after that, yes, but I didn’t get into Teaching which was my degree until 17 years later!

• May 14, 2017 / 11:56 am

It seems hard to find a job that you feel you fit in and enjoy, but it’s nice to hear than I’m not alone!

• May 14, 2017 / 12:04 pm

There are lots like you out there Jas. Never fear!

2. May 14, 2017 / 12:00 pm

My eldest son is in his first year at Uni and we’ve had so many conversations lately that mirror exactly the points you’ve made in your post. He is studying Graphic Design but not getting what he wants from the course. He is floundering and unsure. I don’t know what to say to him (and you) that will help, but I do know that working towards something you are passionate about will get you through so many low points. I’m 45 in a week and still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up! Enjoy doing what you love and love doing what you enjoy x

• May 14, 2017 / 12:04 pm

Thank you! Exactly, I don’t know what I want to do but I know I want to love it, so hopefully I find something I love! Good luck to your son, I hope he can do the same!

3. May 14, 2017 / 12:50 pm

If you don’t find a job you love right away, make you create a life outside of work that you love. Remember a job is only part of who and what we do.

4. May 14, 2017 / 1:03 pm

Without trying to sound patronising, please, please don’t ever let go of your dream to find a job you love. Really great post.

5. May 14, 2017 / 1:09 pm

I have just finished my last lecture of university yesterday! I still don’t 100% no what I want to do! It’s such a hard time to try and decide what path to go down!
    I have at least an industry which i would like to work in which is useful but as you say to get into that industry is hard as most require so much experience.

• May 14, 2017 / 1:26 pm

Glad to hear your relate! Good luck from this point forward!

6. May 14, 2017 / 2:03 pm

Something big that I have learned is that it’s not the job itself I love- I love being able to help people and like and enjoy my coworkers. If I have those two elements, I am happy! I loved my undergraduate and graduate history degrees and would have loved being a historian, but unfortunately the job market didn’t allow. However, recalibrating what happy in a job means and being flexible went a long way! Remember that everyone feels this way at some point!! Cheers 🙂

• May 14, 2017 / 2:05 pm

This was really profound, I like what you said about recalibration what happy means in a job, I must remember that!

7. May 14, 2017 / 3:53 pm

The question every generation asks Jas; Definitely you are not alone and its quite daunting to flow from school through uni because the path is very clear until it ends. Some know early on what they want to do and never realise they are not the vast majority. Don’t rush into something you hate; as the above comment says often it is the co-workers and helping people that can bring more satisfaction. Just don’t take a break and ignore the issue though. We all pass through this point so take heart x

8. May 14, 2017 / 3:57 pm

I just wrote a similar post on the way that first year after college feels! I was a psych major, so I knew I had to go on to grad school in order to do what I wanted. But I still moved back home with my parents, and left my job in retail to substitute teach. It’s been a big adjustment, and not what I thought it would be, but I got through it, and things are looking better!
    -Nicole
    myuninspiredblog.com

• May 14, 2017 / 4:00 pm

This is really reassuring haha thanks for sharing! Hopefully I’ll work towards something and get there too!

9. May 14, 2017 / 5:38 pm

I’ve definitely been where you are Jasmine, and don’t worry about it! Nearly everyone in my year and my classes had no idea where they were headed, except for a few people who had things set up for after their graduation, but this was few and far between. Like you, I just focused on trying to find something I love, and I think that’s the best attitude to have in life. They often say that if you find a job you love, you’ll never work a day in your life, and I know you’ll find something both amazing and interesting! Just enjoy your last few months, have fun, give yourself a break after all the hard work and then before you know it, something will come along! – Tasha

• May 14, 2017 / 7:54 pm

Thanks Tasha! This is really sound advice, I’m hoping that if I keep going everything will eventually fall into place

• May 15, 2017 / 11:04 pm

I’m sure it will lovely, and even if you end up doing something just to support yourself for a while, don’t take your eyes off of the end goal – work towards your dream!

10. May 14, 2017 / 8:38 pm

I feel you, I’m kind of struggling with this right now too ! Let’s wish us both luck 😉

• May 14, 2017 / 8:41 pm

Haha glad I’m not alone! Wishing us both the best of luck 😉

11. josypheen
    May 15, 2017 / 11:06 am

Good luck Jas!
    You are definitely not alone! I know so, soooo many people that had no idea what they wanted to do after Uni.
    Have you thought of doing something like the JET programme? You just need a degree, and they pay you really well to go and be an assistant language teacher in Japan. I went on that programme for a couple of years and have hundreds of friends from around the world after it. If you have no idea, it’s worth thinking about. https://www.jet-uk.org/index.php If you like the idea, the next applications are in October. You could even start writing while you are there OR just have a giggle and see the world for a couple of years.

• josypheen
        May 15, 2017 / 12:47 pm

Give me a shout if you decide to go for it. I’m happy to help if you need advice for you application. 🙂