Project 2017 | Second Year: 1 Month In

Project 2017 | Second Year: 1 Month In

So I was supposed to post yesterday (first upload I’ve missed in a couple of months wow) but my WiFi extender stopped working and in all honestly I have been ridiculously busy since Uni started so I took the WiFi issues as a sign that I needed a break.  That’s fair enough, right?
I know I’ve been posting really regularly, and my schedule hasn’t faltered thus far, however I feel like I haven’t blogged in ages… Because I haven’t.  Before coming to Uni I scheduled over a month’s worth of posts in advance because I had no idea what Second Year would be like and how I’d adjust, and honestly I’m so glad I did.  I thought I was busy last year, and this summer, but since the 9th of September there hasn’t been a single day where I haven’t been doing something (apologies for the double negative).  Therefore, as I’m sat in my bed at midnight, trying to distract myself from the endless pile of Uni reading that doesn’t seem to get smaller, I figured I’d fill you in on how I’ve been doing lately…
So a lot’s changed since my first year of Uni.  Last year I was living with random people in halls (people that I didn’t completely get along with – I mean, we weren’t hostile, but you know what I mean), I didn’t do half the work I should have done, I was pretty disconnected from the Uni (Student Union, societies, etc.) and I went through a stage of being really sad and rarely leaving my room.  However, this year, I’m…

• Living in a really cute house with 4 of my friends
  • On top of work (however, that doesn’t mean I’m not caught in an endless cycle of extra reading)
  • Actually reading ahead of my course (see bracket above)
  • the Deputy Editor of the mental health section of my Uni’s paper
  • Exploring more than just the clubs in Bristol, and experiencing a lot more culture

Saying that I feel so much more at ease than I did last year is honestly an understatement.  I’m surrounded by people I love that understand me, I’m being pro-active and productive and experiencing so much more than I did last year, and I’m getting to make a difference with mental health awareness with my new position at the paper!  I don’t know whether it’s my job at the paper, or the fact that I’m making an effort to involve myself in the Uni more, but I feel so much more aware of what’s going on with my Uni, and maximising my use of resources.
I’m going out and doing things that anxious little Jas from last year wouldn’t have even tried to do, and I genuinely feel so much happier!  I’m actually speaking in seminars!  I know that seems like nothing, but you know what that’s a big deal for me, and the other day I got to go witness my Uni sign a mental health pledge as a member of the press!  I felt so important and got a real taste of journalism (you can read the piece I did on it here).  It’s been really interesting writing for somewhere other than my blog, and not only do I get to choose the stories we use for our section and lay-up our pages in the paper (I feel so fancy) but I also get to organise campaigns that will hopefully make a difference!
I feel like this year I’m really starting to find my feet, and learn what I’m passionate about and what I love doing.  I’m trying to get a taste for as much as I can and do everything I physically can, and yes, I’m exhausted, but I’m also addicted to the feeling.  Balancing everything is a bit daunting, and I may have to drop down to two blog posts a week if things get too much… but I sure am addicted to high-pressure situations, so for the meantime, I’m gonna keep going with 3.  I’m also very excited for the content I have coming up on my blog!  I’ve been doing a bit of bulk writing this evening, and I have a cute tag, some personal posts, a food diary and an extremely exciting post with an extremely exciting brand on Saturday (Seriously guys, I got so hyped when they reached out to me). So stay tuned!
Don’t get me wrong, I still have a ridiculous amount of work, and I feel overwhelmed a lot of the time, but I’m coping so much better, and that’s what’s most important.  I’m really improving when it comes to knowing myself, and recognising triggers and things that might set me off and I couldn’t be prouder.  I know there will be down days – there have been already, because things aren’t always sunshine and rainbows, that’s just life, but the up days are overpowering, and I’m loving every minute of it.
I was going to apologise for how rambley this was, but hey, you should know me and my rambles by now!  How’s the last month been for you?  I’d love to hear all about it!

BLOGLOVIN’ |  TWITTER  |  INSTAGRAM

1. October 13, 2017 / 12:29 am

Awww, Jasmine, this is so great to read! Never feel bad for having to take a break or missing posts. Sometimes we have to let real life take the reins and allow ourselves to focus on us, and it sounds like you’ve got the balance right. So cool that you’ve got so much going on, like being the Deputy Editor for your Uni’s paper – that’s amazing! Also, I’m so glad you’re enjoying being back and having fun as well, that’s the most important thing. You can work hard, but it’s also important to have fun and give yourself a break too, and I’m glad you’re loving it so far. I’m sorry I’ve been so behind with your posts too, I am slowly catching up now! – Tasha

• October 14, 2017 / 2:07 am

Thank you so much Tasha! I agree, if I feel the need to take a break I definitely will. Don’t apologise! I love the fact that you’re making an effort to catch up in the first place! I’m glad you’re back after your well deserved break! Much love to you always!

• October 16, 2017 / 10:05 pm

Thank you lovely. <3

2. October 14, 2017 / 1:16 am

This was so great and inspiring! I’m so happy for you and finding your footing! I love that you’re writing is able to spread to somewhere other than just your blog cause I enjoy your works! I just moved into my new apartment after moving to this whole new state two months ago. It’s been a WHIRLWIND and I’ve been overwhelmed my stuff but I started my full time job in my career and will be getting into classes to further my knowledge and am now really doing this blog which I’m SUPER excited about and enjoying the community and I have a bunch more in store and I’m excited about it! I’m also super excited about your new content and a hashtag??? LIT.

• October 14, 2017 / 2:04 am

Thank you so much! It’s so weird having my writing in places other than my blog! It sounds like you’ve been through so much recently! I’m glad that you’re enjoying your blog and getting into classes! What are you learning?!

• October 14, 2017 / 4:28 pm

I’m learning about child development! Im a preschool teacher. I’m really excited about it!

3. October 14, 2017 / 10:02 am

I am halfway through my first year in Uni when it is starting to get very busy so I can totally relate to how overwhelmed you have been feeling. It seems as though you are really enjoying the life though and I think becoming more involved in the different aspects of Uni is helping you to settle into it more.
    Good luck with the paper too, it is wonderful that you are highlighting Mental Health issues,something very close to my heart. 🙂

• October 14, 2017 / 10:07 am

Thank you! Yeah it’s easy for it to get overwhelming very quickly! Thank you so much – mental health is also very close to my heart, so it’s very exciting to be doing something to raise awareness for it!

4. October 14, 2017 / 10:34 am

Hi Jas! Things sound sooo exciting for you, your uni experience, and your blog too! I love how you reflected on your first year, and how you feel you have moved on from that…what you have learned on the way and how you are continuing to do great things. Don’t be hard on yourself though, give yourself time for YOU and you won’t go far wrong. I hope you have an epic second year and beyond 💙 xx

5. October 14, 2017 / 11:14 am

What a wonderfully positive post to read Jasmine! I am so glad you feel so much more settled in your Second year. It’s true, you find your feet and you have your friends… enjoy it!!!

6. October 14, 2017 / 11:35 am

You would have over my last month- high pressure everywhere! However I handled it well and enjoyed it. Just sleepy now x

7. October 14, 2017 / 2:12 pm

University is exactly for growing as a person and figuring out who you are, rather than simply a place to study!! The “everything else” is half of it! Congratulations on everything you are doing- you would be a fantastic editor 🙂 I hope your year continues to be busy but wonderful!!

• October 14, 2017 / 2:26 pm

Thank you so much! And you’re right, I’m really enjoying discovering who I am!

8. October 14, 2017 / 2:21 pm

This is so great to read. You sound really positive and excited about life. Keep up the good work love x

9. October 14, 2017 / 8:21 pm

This is so good to hear! You sound so positive and there are loads of great things going on for you! And how awesome to be in Bristol. I went there a few weeks ago, just for the day, and we loved the food markets they have on a Friday. So many foods, too little time! Looking forward to hearing more about what’s going on for you 🙂

• October 14, 2017 / 8:42 pm

Thank you so much – I too am a massive fan of the Bristol food markets!

10. October 14, 2017 / 11:33 pm

I’m so glad things are looking up for you! That’s awesome. Keep plugging away, you’ll get there!