Demotivation & How to Combat It

Demotivation & How to Combat It

I feel like it’s the time of year where everyone just feels a little demotivated; It’s prime essay time, almost exam time for some and we’re all just waiting for the Christmas holidays to hurry up and arrive.
For the first time this year I can feel myself losing my motivation and it’s, well… a lot more stress than I need right now.  I got so used to loving what I was doing and having a real passion for my work, so it’s weird being back to the point where I’m just working to meet deadlines, because it really takes the enjoyment out of it.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m still getting things done on time; I was lucky enough to be far enough ahead in my uni work/blogging to have a few days of doing nothing and not be affected by them.  However, I can feel myself… regressing.
The most important thing to remember when you’re feeling demotivated is not to beat yourself up about it.  We all have these moments, no matter how productive we are, and it can’t be seen as a reflection of our overall character.  There are many ways to go about confronting this demotivation; obviously different things work for different people but here are ones that I’ve found to work for me at different times in my life.
TAKE A BREAK: You’re over-worked, burning the candle at both ends, and thanks to it your brain is having a bit of a shut down and can’t find the things fun anymore.  Give yourself time to recharge – whether it be a weekend, a week or a couple of hours.  Just something that will help you relax for a bit, and then who knows you might be excited to get back to work after.
REMIND YOURSELF OF WHY YOU DO WHAT YOU’RE DOING: Nothing stays fun 24/7, and through a lot of things that we’re passionate about, we go through peaks and troughs.  Get back to the source: remind yourself of the inspiration, or the eventual outcome, and get yourself that spark back.
CONSUME THE WORK OF OTHERS WHO DO WHAT YOU DO/WANT TO DO: Don’t compare yourself to them: comparison is the thief of joy.  But let their happiness, passion and success get you excited for your own.
PLAN THINGS OUT: Maybe you’re demotivated because your strategy isn’t working.  Take some time to plan a new strategy.  If you’re a geek like me, maybe the planning of the event will get you excited to get started again…
WRITE A LIST: Sometimes, something as simple of getting to tick something off of a to-do list when it’s complete, inspires you to complete the task.
JUST POWER THROUGH: Occasionally, if none of the above work, powering through til the spark gradually comes back can be a working solution.  Take me for example, I sat down with my laptop and forced myself to write this with little to no motivation.  Now, here I am, almost at the end of the post, ready to write and schedule another few straight after this!
Motivation can often come and go, and sometimes we can’t control it, but that’s not the end of the world.  It’s okay to feel like you have no motivation; sometimes our body tries to tell us things, and we should just take them and run with them.  However, I understand that sometimes, (Like right now in my life) you simply don’t have the time to waste.  I hope some of these help you get out of your rut of demotivation.
How are you doing right now?  What are things that motivate you to get things done?  Let me know in the comments!

BLOGLOVIN’ |  TWITTER  |  INSTAGRAM

1. November 13, 2017 / 7:36 pm

Planning works for me heavily but I may need to branch out and try some other things cause I’ve struggled lately!

• November 13, 2017 / 7:51 pm

Yeah planning is a really good one! Awww that’s annoying 🙁 good luck trying some new methods!

2. November 17, 2017 / 9:02 pm

I love the way you think and how you phrase things, this was genuinely such a great post to read! I’m also a super geek and get excited over planning and organization haha, i’m not sure whether its a strength or a weakness!? But yeah I totally agree with all of this, no one should feel guilty for having a break for their own sanity, no matter what the break is from we all need some time to unwind and recharge our batteries and our love for some things sometimes!
    Alice Xx

• November 17, 2017 / 9:31 pm

Awwww thank you so much, I’m glad my little rambles make sense haha! Planning and organisation is SO MUCH FUN I’m glad you relate – it’s definitely a strength 😉

3. noellekelly
    November 18, 2017 / 10:45 am

I’m finding November a very demotivating month actually. I’m just going to forget it and try to get back in the swing of things next week 🙂

4. November 18, 2017 / 10:53 am

My energy’s at a low ebb, and it’s been very easy to end up dispirited lately (especially after dealing with some artistic setbacks). Thank you for this.

• November 18, 2017 / 11:03 am

Artistic setbacks can be terrible. I hope this helps

5. November 18, 2017 / 10:57 am

These are some really good tips! November is hard, it doesn’t help motivation when it’s cold and dark as well!

• November 18, 2017 / 11:03 am

Yep! I feel like the darkness is something that really gets to me!

6. November 18, 2017 / 11:00 am

Some really solid helpful advice here. It’s so easy to lack motivation when it’s cold and dark outside. You just feel like hibernating in the winter. These tips are great.

• November 18, 2017 / 11:05 am

I definitely relate to wanting to hibernate in the winter! Bears really got it right didn’t they haha

7. November 18, 2017 / 11:17 am

Some great insights here. “Not comparing” seems to be a key one. And taking a break usually helps me. The problem is that sometimes I just don’t feel motivated to take a break, even though I know it will do me good.

• November 18, 2017 / 11:21 am

I’ve been there too – sometimes you get stuck in an awkward middle ground. Not comparing is definitely a big one!

8. November 18, 2017 / 11:32 am

The best ways to combat demotivation lie within our own mind…..and the sheer will power to stay happy and motivated is within us and us only. Nice post and nice reading…:)

9. November 18, 2017 / 12:00 pm

Great morning for this to come, Jas – have a very demotivated 4th year engineer student sitting in front of me and apparently the world is ending!! I haven’t got him past the beginning of your list yet, but I will work on it over the weekend!!!

10. November 18, 2017 / 12:53 pm

These are all fantastic tips and I was nodding along as I read each point. I’ve found that burnout happens more often than not so it’s important to take breaks and re-kindle the passion a bit later.
    Comparison is the thief of joy, I so agree! Once I stopped doing that, life has become immeasurably more beautiful.

11. November 18, 2017 / 1:34 pm

good ideas. We are often so hard on ourselves – we wouldn’t treat our friends like we do ourselves! I am a list person and find it helps me focus. Usually do it over lunch in a coffee shop so nice way to sit and unwind also.

12. November 18, 2017 / 3:31 pm

Hi,
    I don’t have time to take a break! I need to work harder so when things get busier I can take a break then. Thanks for the productivity advice.
    Janice

13. November 18, 2017 / 5:44 pm

When I feel demotivated. I take a break and do something that energizes me. Usually exercise, but sometimes taking some time to read a book for pleasure calms me and my motivation returns. 🙂

14. November 18, 2017 / 5:45 pm

I’m not the only one who’s not feeling very motivated at the moment then! Great points, well written 🙂

• November 18, 2017 / 6:10 pm

Haha from what I gather it’s a very common November feeling 😉

15. November 18, 2017 / 8:12 pm

You had me at “take a break.” I’m at expert level here;)

16. josypheen
    November 18, 2017 / 8:17 pm

This is a tough time of year for students, but you are so close to Christmas! You can dooooo it!
    Remember it is also the time of year for seasonal affective disorder, so make sure you get out and about a little or take vitamin D supplements!

• November 18, 2017 / 10:45 pm