I Love Myself… So What?

I Love Myself… So What?

I have spent almost my entirely life feeling insecure.  From about the age of 7/8 I started noticing when I was shorter, or chubbier, or looked worse in my uniform than the other girls in my class.  I was never overweight, but from a young age I had adults nonchalantly mentioning how I “wasn’t as skinny as I used to be” and I don’t think anyone realised what an impact it can have on a person.
From a young age we are taught to be humble, but through societal pressures and “the media” and even word of mouth, that humbleness quickly transforms into a lack of self love.  For a lot of us, our immediate response to a compliment is to deflect it.  I get told my hair looks nice and my first instinct is to go “Awww no I’m not really feeling it”.  Yes, a lot of people view this as “fishing for compliments” but for me, and a lot of people we’re worried that accepting the compliment will have us deemed “conceited” or “arrogant”.
It shouldn’t.
Over the last year I’ve really been (not entirely intentionally) working on “finding myself”, and it’s been surprisingly enriching.  I’m a lot more well rounded and chilled and confident, and I actually like myself.  It seems like a really weird thing to say, but it’s a very big step for me… I’ve always been very insecure and never felt like I was good enough, but now I love the person that I am.  Does that make me arrogant?  No.  Why? Because there’s a difference between arrogance and self-love.
A lot of us seem to have grown up with this built in humility that has turned into insecurity.  Loving and appreciating who you are is now a rarity and that needs to change.  Loving who you are as a person and the way that you look does not make you conceited, it just means you appreciate your own self-worth!  You’re allowed to be proud of your accomplishments and your appearance and everything else about yourself without having to feel bad about it!  I’m not saying you have to brag about it (Although, you should be able to share things you’re proud of with your close friends and family), but there’s nothing wrong with owning who you are!
Don’t get me wrong, you don’t have to believe that you’re perfect and nothing needs changing; that’s not what self love is.  We always have room to grow and change, but that doesn’t mean we can’t like who we are.  I recognise that I have flaws, and I know that I make a lot of mistakes in life, but I also don’t let those be reasons for hating myself.  I have my redeeming qualities and I do try hard to be a good person and that’s enough for me to like who I am.  We need to stop focusing on the bad and remember the good things that we do.  Love yourself!  I’m sure you’re pretty great!
Hope you’re all doing great and remember that you’re awesome!

BLOGLOVIN’ |  TWITTER  |  INSTAGRAM

1. November 12, 2017 / 1:01 am

I can definitely relate to this post Jasmine 💯. I was always very skinny then suddenly after high school I started to gain all this weight in college. Now I’m struggling with being confident and loving myself as I struggle to lose the weight. I will get there though 💪 thanks for the encouragement lovely!

• November 12, 2017 / 1:03 am

Awwww I’m glad you enjoyed it and related it! It’s so hard to get back to being comfortable with ourselves after a body change but I’m sure you’re just as gorgeous and a great person, hope you find the confidence soon!

2. November 12, 2017 / 10:12 am

Amazing post! So many important ideas here which are definitely what more people need. Thanks for sharing x

3. November 12, 2017 / 10:19 am

Yessss girl! Absolutely, everyone should love themselves because why not? You have nothing to lose & loving yourself at the very least provides you with one more person that loves you.

• November 12, 2017 / 10:28 am

Haha I love that: “Loving yourself provides you with one more person that loves you” – that’s so cute!

4. November 12, 2017 / 10:55 am

I love this and I REALLY needed to read this at the moment. “I know that I make a lot of mistakes in life, but I also don’t let those be reasons for hating myself.” this is such a huge personal problem of mine, why do we always take tiny wrongdoings and punish ourselves for them endlessly yet when we do something amazing and kind we just overlook it as nothing when it comes to ourselves!? I will definitely be bringing my children up to unapologetically love their selves as they are as it causes so much suffering in the long run when you’re constantly bullying yourself for no good reason!
    Alice Xx

• November 12, 2017 / 11:29 am

Awwww thank you so much, I’m so glad you liked it! I agree – I can be so bad at letting my tiny mistakes define me and they really don’t! Hopefully over time we’ll both get way better at unapologetically loving ourselves 🙂

5. November 13, 2017 / 1:54 am

So true. And your advice will stick as a reminder to return to many times in the future. Cheers!

6. November 17, 2017 / 8:04 pm

This is definitely something to keep in mind! We’re all struggling with thoughts of self-doubt and low confidence, and I love your attitude towards it 🙂 x

• November 17, 2017 / 9:25 pm

Thank you so much! You’re right, we’re all struggling, but we’re all so beautiful and great in our own ways and we need to own that!!!

7. November 17, 2017 / 8:11 pm

So true, lovely words and we should all remember the food things we do.

8. November 17, 2017 / 8:14 pm

Very inspiring and relatable! Keep up the good work 🙂

9. Corinne and Kirsty
    November 17, 2017 / 8:24 pm

Loving yourself and your flaws help accepting who you are and make the most of it! This is all so true and great to read! xx corinne

10. November 17, 2017 / 8:25 pm

Love this! I definitely need to read more of these type of blog posts. I can imagine it’s a great feeling to truly be able to love yourself – I’ll get there one day!
    jenny | http://www.jennyrosee.com

• November 17, 2017 / 9:26 pm

I don’t mean this in a promo way but I do quite a few posts about self confidence and insecurity so stay tuned haha – I hope your journey to loving yourself is a good one <3

11. November 17, 2017 / 8:33 pm

I loved reading this! you go girl! xx

12. November 17, 2017 / 8:44 pm

This is such a lovely and uplifting post! It’s so important to love yourself and the body you’re in! Thank you so much for sharing such a positive post xx

• November 17, 2017 / 9:27 pm

It really is so important to love yourself! I’m glad you liked it, thank you!

13. Creative Nails
    November 17, 2017 / 8:52 pm

Such an inspiring post! I’m quite short, and it was something that has always been mentioned to me, when I meet new people etc. I kind of have got used to it now and make jokes about it myself, but some days it can get a bit down. Just have to try and remember to love myself for who I am!
    Amy,

• November 17, 2017 / 9:29 pm

I was short for most of my life (I mean, after my so called “growth spurt” I’m now 5″4 so you can imagine my shortness…) So I’ve been there through the short comments! However, hope you don’t let it get you down too much – you’re lovely regardless of your height and good things come in small packages 😉

14. November 17, 2017 / 8:58 pm

Yes! This is SO true and a breath of fresh air. None of us are perfect but it’s important to accept ourselves for who we are and not be too down on the little things
    Vicky x

15. November 17, 2017 / 9:05 pm

I’m feeling really insecure and unconfident from time to time and this post is insanely inspiring. Thank you, Jasmine!
    Tsu xo

16. November 17, 2017 / 9:07 pm

Love how you color some words and phrases with yellow matching your pic🤗 But the main thing is that this post inspired me a lot! While reading it I asked myself did I love me🤔 we all have to appreciate how we look, who we are and to be proud but not selfish. Thanks for sharing 💖

• November 17, 2017 / 9:32 pm

Omg I try and colour code important words to the pictures (if I’m organised enough) so thank you for noticing haha! I hope this helps you remember to love yourself, because you should, we all should, we’re awesome 😉

• November 17, 2017 / 9:33 pm

Awwww thank you so much it really means a lot! I hope you love any other ones you read!

17. November 18, 2017 / 7:47 pm

Yes, own it! Love this post, love that your love loving you and loving myself st the same time 😉👌💖💕⚠️