My Food Mentality | Acceptance & New Routines

My Food Mentality | Acceptance & New Routines

I haven’t done a post on my food/body positivity journey in a while… In all honesty I had a post that was supposed to come out in October on “5 of my favourite student meals” but I wanted to include pictures and, well, I kept eating the food before I took them… So that will probably come… Eventually… But for now, I thought I’d update you on how I’m doing with my relationship with food and fitness.
In short, it’s going really well, and I think that’s mostly because I care a lot less.  Don’t get me wrong, I still care about being healthy because, well, health is life, but I’ve gotten a lot more comfortable with my body.  I don’t actually hate the way I look!  And I know I have a few lumps and bumps – of course I do, I don’t think I’m ever gonna have the supermodel body of my dreams (The first thing that should have given that away is the fact that I’m 5″4…), but I generally don’t mind how I look.
That doesn’t mean I’ve given up on health; I still try and eat healthily and exercise, but I feel like I’m doing it for the right reasons at the moment. I’m not doing it to lose weight and tone (Although, if those are side effects then they wouldn’t be unwelcome) but rather doing it so I can improve my body in a fitness way.  I want to be stronger, more flexible, have better stamina, just all round be a better version of myself, and so that’s what I’m working towards at the moment.
In terms of my diet, well my main priority is balance.  I try and cook fresh as much as possible, because by cooking for myself, I put a lot more time and care into what I put in my body, but I don’t limit myself to “skinny” foods.  I try and work meat, carbs and veg into every dinner, snack on fruit, and eat three meals away.  So far, it’s been working to keep me regulated and I feel a lot better for doing it.  That doesn’t mean that I never get takeaways or go out to eat with my friends – of course I do, I’m at University!  However, I never feel bad or “guilty” about it because life is all about balance and one day of consuming Domino’s until I sweat pizza grease is not going to make me gain 100lbs.
As you may recall (Did I even talk about it on my blog?  Who knows…) last year I had a real obsession with the gym.  This year however, I live in a different area and the gym is no longer within walking distance and I’m too lazy to travel to it (Ironic, I know) so I’ve been trying out some new things.  My University Student Union has a bunch of exercise classes on offer so instead I’ve bought a subscription for that.  I’ve really developed a love for Piloxercise (It’s essentially Zumba but more intense and it nearly kills me every single time) so I’ve been doing that every week, along with the occasional Yoga or Dance Fit class thrown in.  It’s been a lot of fun and I forgot how much I loved just jumping around to music so it’s been a welcome change (and I can already feel my stamina improving so that’s a great bonus).
I guess the point of this post is that the best thing to do is find things that work for you.  Not everyone’s a gym lad, not everyone likes classes, some go on runs and some just make an effort to walk everywhere.  The best thing to do is find your own pattern and most importantly to not be so hard on yourself!  Fitness and good food can be important but I feel like you can’t properly get into them in a healthy manner until you come to accept your own body.  Acceptance doesn’t mean you don’t want it to change, it just means that you are happy being you regardless.
Hope this made sense, and hopefully I’ll get some more ‘My Food Mentality’ posts up soon!  You can check out the last few here and here.

BLOGLOVIN’ |  TWITTER  |  INSTAGRAM

1. thenorthleftblog
    November 8, 2017 / 9:25 am

Totally agree with you! I’ve definitely found that, over the years, I’ve become a lot happier with where I am with food & exercise and that helps me relax about it all. It isn’t a chore if you can find something you enjoy!

2. November 8, 2017 / 9:30 am

Yeah I agree! You just have to find what works for you!

3. November 11, 2017 / 10:55 am

Jas, this makes my heart sing coming from a young lady! As mum to a 15year old daughter I do worry that body image plays a significantly bigger role in the lives of teens today than it ever has. I see it with my boys too (very slim 18 and 21 year olds) who worry that they aren’t big enough and not going to the gym enough. Due to health problems, drugs and poor mobility I have put on 4 stone in weight in recent years despite cooking my own food…and hated it. I have always been very slim and never had to think about food – but having also had to change my diet recently due to my condition (gluten free, lactose free, low FODMAP) and thus pushing us to think about how we cook, I have managed to shed most of that weight. Don’t get me wrong – some is unhealthy loss due to inability to eat at times – but how you are cooking and exercising (for fun and enjoyment) must bring about a healthier and happier you!!
    Please, please do your student series – you will have an audience here!!

• November 11, 2017 / 10:07 pm

Thank you so much! It’s so hard, I was one of those teens that had a really hard time when it came to weight but I’m so much better at it now. I will definitely keep up the uni series!

4. November 11, 2017 / 11:50 am

once you find peace within yourself you can start finding a healthy lifestyle that suits 😍

• November 11, 2017 / 10:09 pm

💜💜💜

5. November 11, 2017 / 12:25 pm

What works for one doesn’t for another, we have to give ourselves a break smell the lavender, pick a posy, swim butt naked in an icy stream or eat a bar of chocolate but do what is right for you. Happy #SocialSaturday

• November 11, 2017 / 10:08 pm

Haha yes exactly, we have to do what works for US, we shouldn’t be stressed if things that others seem to love don’t work when we try it.

6. November 11, 2017 / 2:42 pm

I can definitely relate to this post, people just need to find what works for them and give themselves the time to accept themselves. I’m also 5’3″, some dreams just aren’t able to come true :p

• November 11, 2017 / 10:08 pm

Haha a fellow shorty, I love it! Glad you could relate!

7. November 11, 2017 / 3:46 pm

Great post! It’s good to hear your relationship with your body is better. I’m all for eating whole foods but not dismissing the “naughty” stuff. I eas craving chinese food last night so we got a takeaway. I had it without guilt as I’d been sensible during the rest of the week. Like you say, it’s all about balance and accepting our amazing bodies because they do a lot for us 🙂

• November 11, 2017 / 10:09 pm

Exactly! A takeaway isn’t gonna kill us, and we shouldn’t feel guilty for having them!

8. November 11, 2017 / 5:58 pm

Food and I have a destructive yet constructive relationship. Love this post x

• November 11, 2017 / 10:10 pm

Hope your relationship with food improves soon! My was very destructive but I’ve really been working to turn it around.