For the last few years I really haven’t been a fan of New Years Resolutions… I don’t know, I just feel like they’re hard to stick to. However, this year has been such an amazing year for me, and in 2018 I want to grow further. Although I’m not a big resolution person, my 20 things to do before 20 worked so successfully, so I figured that I’t great an 18 before (the end of) 2018.
This year, I really want to work onfurthering myself,so I decided on 4 areas of my life that I want to improve: my brain, (new) experiences, my blog and my health and (personal) growth. From there I took the categories and put my goals within them. I won’t do them all straight away… The beauty of these is that some can be attempted and crossed off, and some will be slow and steady things that I work at. So, without further ado, here are my 18 goals for 2018:
1) Read at least 5 books (for fun)… This may sound like I’m setting the bar really low, but the truth is I do an English Literature degree, I’m always reading books, they’re just never ones I read by choice. Therefore, at some point during this year, I would love to read at least 5 books that I’ve chosen and I’ve wanted to read.
2) Do some sort of journalism work experience… I think I mentioned a while ago that I’m thinking of doing a masters… I’m still considering it, and the one I want to do requires 4 weeks of journalism work experience. I already work for my school paper, so that’s okay, but I’d love to have the experience of working in a magazine, especially so I can see if I like it.
3) Write at least half of my novel… I’m writing a novel at the moment, because my ultimate goal in life is to be a writer. However, with University and my surprisingly busy life, I’m not going to put a lot of pressure on myself to completely finish it… However, I reckon I could get a substantial sum of it written.
4) Learn how to french plait… I love how french plaits look. I love how they look in my own hair. However, I rarely have them because I CAN’T DO A FRENCH PLAIT. I’m 20 years old, this will be the year that I learn.
5) Play my piano more – maybe finish writing some songs… I brought my keyboard up to University so I could get back into music, but I haven’t used it as much as I would have liked to. Therefore, I’m going to try and use it more, and maybe even finish the multiple songs that I’ve started and never finished.
6) Spend more time in the library… I’m actually a person that can work pretty well from home, but I feel like the library just makes me a little extra studious. This year I want to put everything I can into University, and I’m hoping that the library will help that.
7) See more movies in cinema… As a University student, I spend more money on pointless nights out than I want to. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against going clubbing and I’m not saying I’m going to stop, but I want to even out the ratio of money spent on nights out and money spent on slightly more enriching things. I know that cinemas are expensive and everything can be found online eventually, but cinemas really are a different experience. This year I’ve been getting back into them and I saw La La Land, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle and Pitch Perfect 3. I absolutely loved all of them and the cinema only furthered the experience, so I want more of that this year.
8) Go to at least 2 different countries… I’m really getting into travelling. Like seriously, I have such wanderlust at the moment. Next year my goal is to go to at least 2 new countries, however, I’ve travelled quite a bit in my 20 years so I’ll settle for visiting 2 countries other than England, even if I may have been before. Hopefully, there will be quite a few blog posts on cheap travel this summer…
9) Visit 9 new places in Bristol… I go to University there and I’m trying to explore more as I feel like it’s very easy to just keep returning to places you feel comfortable in. However, I’m going to try and explore more. I’ve set nine as a minimum target, but hopefully I can knock that out of the park.
10) Take my blog to new levels… I don’t know what this means yet? Honestly I’m going to see what happens. But basically, I’ve been blogging for a year now and it’s gone a lot more successfully than I thought it would, so I’m going to keep growing it and promoting it more and see where it takes me. I might even go self-hosted? Who knows, we’ll see.
11) Go to more blogger events… Before September I’d never been to one before, and by the end of this year I’ve been to 3. I honestly have really enjoyed them and they’ve been a great place to meet other like-minded people, so I’d love to go to more in 2018!
12) Develop my personal style… I did a post earlier in my 12 days of blogging about how exactly I plan to achieve this here. I’m on my way, and I’ve become more sure of myself in the last year and slowly coming into my style. However, I want to really clarify that, and you should see that though my blog.
13) Get better at saving… I’ve never really treated my savings seriously. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve put money away each month and had a substantial savings account, but I’ve never had “serious things” to save for, so I use it for holidays and my current account when I don’t have money. I’m still going to use it for holidays and luxuries (By luxuries I mean clothes and makeup), but I want to put away a little bit each month for actual savings like a house and boring adult things that I’ll need in the future.
14) Spend less money on food… I’m quite savvy when it comes to food at University, but when I don’t plan my meals it can end up getting quite expensive. I’m going to try to get back to planning my meals properly which should hopefully not only lead to less money spent on food, but should also lead to healthier more balanced meals.
15) Like and wear all the clothes in my wardrobe… Again, there’s a full explanation in the post I did earlier this week here, but long story short, I have too many clothes and I want to refine my wardrobe so I feel less wasteful.
16) Get fitter… I don’t necessarily want to lose weight, because I’m finally at a place where I can look at my body without having really damaging thoughts, but I would like to be fitter. I’m talking more stamina, more strength, and just generally more toned. I mentioned here that I’ve been into fitness classes recently, but this year I want to step up the frequency and intensity. Maybe by 2019 my goal will be to run a marathon? Who knows…
17) Grow out my hair some more… In year 11 I cut my hair really short, probably the shortest it’s ever been, and then I cut bangs in year 12 which was… a big mistake. I then cut it short again at the end of year 12 and since then I’ve kept trimming it anytime it reaches my shoulders because I get frustrated with it; I don’t like the length where it can’t go over my shoulders but looks weird behind them. However, this year I’ve been patient with it and it’s actually starting to get longer and probably the healthiest it’s been since I was about 10 (I’ve had one heck of a hair journey… I may write about it next year). But yeah, now it’s finally kind of doing what I want? So I’d love to keep that up (If I can refrain from cutting it)
18) Take more pride in myself… Don’t get me wrong, I am insanely proud of what I’ve done in this last year, but in general I tend to downplay things because I’m not the biggest fan of attention. However, I’m doing some pretty cool things and I deserve to be happy about them (Without being super arrogant and plastering them everywhere, obviously). I’m going to try and promote my blog more because I pour my heart and soul into it, and just keep going on this journey of self-confidence.
And there you have it! I don’t know whether I’ll complete them all, and I’m not going to put insane pressure on myself to do them. However, they’re some good signposts for me to look to if I’m ever feeling lost or unmotivated with this year (Which, let’s be realistic, I will at times). I might give continuous updates throughout the year? I don’t know yet, but one thing is certain, I’ll give an update this time next year – let’s hope it’s a successful one!
Do you have any resolutions? Let me know in the comments!
Lots of love,
BLOGLOVIN’ | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM
Hey, I'm Jasmine Burke. A girl in her twenties fresh out of Uni that's trying to write in any way that she can. I go under the branch of "lifestyle" but honestly, you can find pretty much anything on here.
Sorry. No data so far.