Delving into Colour

Delving into Colour

The Old Jas

Growing up, I was the “skinny jeans and T-Shirt” girl 24/7.  Fashion wasn’t really something that interested me.  I wanted my clothes to look nice, but I wasn’t really that into having my own “style” or being “fashionable”.  I loved bright colour and insanely cute outfits on other people, but I felt that I could never pull it off.

Going through secondary school, clothes weren’t all that important to me.  I was wearing a uniform 5 days a week and on those other 2 days I wasn’t really going out as much as I do now.  However, once I got to sixth form, I was wearing my own clothes every single day of the week, (amongst a bunch of girls who did, in fact, know their style and look amazing).  Therefore, I started to figure out what I liked wearing.

Blend In, No Colour

I went through a variety of mental problems during sixth form.  I felt pretty worthless and tried as hard as I could to blend into the background.  Therefore, it’s unsurprising that my clothing reflected that too.  Almost everything I wore was black: skirts, tops, trousers, big baggy black jumpers, heavy black eyeliner.  If it wasn’t black, it was white or grey; there was no real colour, only monochrome.  It soon became my identity and recurring jokes with my friends about my all black wardrobe became the norm.  I took black clothing as my “style” as it meant that I had something that was mine.  However, it was my attempt to stand out as little as possible.

Confidence Changed the Game

In the last few years I have learnt to be so much more comfortable with who I am as a person.  It’s not like I live to be the centre of attention.  In all honesty, I don’t think I’ll ever be that person.  However, my goal is no longer to disappear.

I’m proud of myself and my body and I want to look nice for me, so developing a personal style has been a goal of mine for the past few years.  My wardrobe is brighter and there’s definitely way more colour.  I have more pride in what I wear, and I genuinely feel like I look happier.  Don’t get me wrong, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with dressing in black all the time, and it’s not like I actively avoid it.  However, for me, it wasn’t just an outfit choice, it was my way of making myself nothing.  It’s safe to say that I’m done with that now.

It’s weird how little changes that seem shallow and artificial can have much deeper meanings.  Obviously, not everything in life does, but for me, this was one of those things that meant more than it seemed.  I’m excited to see where my style journey goes from here.

How would you describe your personal style?  Let me know in the comments

1. July 9, 2018 / 11:02 am

I definitely don’t have a personal style anymore; I go for comfort over anything really and definitely don’t follow any sort of fashion trend! When I was a teen I went through the Grunger and Emo phase and REALLY got into it haha!

2. July 15, 2018 / 8:08 pm

I think it’s the opposite for me. While I was in school -I was so pissed because all I wore was a uniform. I wanted so bad to wear the clothes that I liked, so I wore over-the-top clothes when I went out with family and friends. Major fashion fail. It’s only later when I went to college and I tried different styles, I reliased what I should wear and found my fashion identity.

• July 16, 2018 / 7:11 am

😂😂 I feel like uniform forces us all into our own fashion journey

3. July 15, 2018 / 8:18 pm

I could relate to this post so much! My wardrobe used to be only black, white and grey. Now it’s all pastels! I’ve definitely tried to be more adventurous with my fashion and clothing choices. I think it’s nice that you’re choosing to add more colour to your outfits. It sounds like you’re doing a really great thing for yourself! Great post!

4. July 16, 2018 / 5:14 pm

I’m glad you’re more comfortable within yourself and are now able to truly relax and find your style! I also have a pretty monochromatic wardrobe and while I’m definitely not wild about drawing attention to myself this is the colour scheme I personally prefer. I quite like a nice print, but I’m quite picky about the types and styles of prints haha

5. July 17, 2018 / 10:12 am

yes to dressing in what you feel empowered in! I’ve never been confident wearing shorts and still don’t because I wouldn’t been comfortable in them, I am a fan of flowy dresses though!
    G

6. July 18, 2018 / 8:07 pm

I totally get that wearing dark colours makes you feel like you’ll blend in, I used to do this at college, simply because I couldn’t afford to dress how all my friends dressed at that time, I would wear the dullest of clothes to not draw any attention to myself (thinking about it now I don’t see the logic haha) but I am glad you feel more comfortable with your style! How you dress can massively boost and bring down your confidence so it is always amazing to wear what you want and feel comfortable! xx