Why Isn’t Smiling Sexy? | 400 Word Rant

Why Isn’t Smiling Sexy? | 400 Word Rant

There are many things in the world that confuse me, and leave me asking a bunch of questions.  I don’t have any answers, because I’m obviously not the be all end all in life.  However, I still want to talk about them, because who doesn’t love a good rant from time to time?  Therefore, I’m starting a new series: 400 word rants, in which I air my frustrations in 400 words or less… (FYI this little intro doesn’t count)

______________________________________

Topic of today: Why isn’t smiling sexy?

Words: 315

“Sex sells” sounds like a really sleezy and outdated phrase, but at the end of the day it still holds some truth.  We are definitely better at accepting different standards of beauty, and I’m not saying in anyway that we only like things that are sexy, but I still find that photos of me in bikinis/shorter outfits get more and quicker likes than any of my other posts.  I’m not necessarily saying that this is a problem, and I am the first one to fight for people doing what they want to do (As long as it isn’t hurting someone), but lately I’ve really been thinking about what we class as “sexy”, and there’s one thing in particular that baffles me…

Whenever you see “sexy” poses in magazines or on Instagram, the consesus seems to be that a girl’s gotta pout… Don’t get me wrong, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with pouting, and I’m never gonna be one to tear a girl down for how she wants to be sexy, but sometimes it confuses me as to why we’ve decided that that’s what sexy is.  Why is pouting, looking angry and dissapointed the thing we’ve decided is a turn on?

It’s noone’s fault; it’s what we’ve been conditioned to deem sexy, but I just don’t understand why?  Is it the idea of forbidden fruit and unnattainability?  It is the excitement of the chase?  Or have we simply decided that if somebody is happy then they clearly can’t be any sort of sexual being?  I love smiling.  I’ve had too many periods where I’ve been nothing but sad, so happiness is something that I want to celebrate.  This isn’t about me trying to convince you that my smiles should be deemed sexy, because I have accepted that I’m not exactly a “sexy” girl, but I simply don’t understand the attraction to moodiness.

But maybe that’s just me…

And there you have it!  The first of my 400 word rants!  Let me know what you thought, whether you agree or disagree, and leave any topics you’d like me to touch on in the comments!

1. July 14, 2018 / 9:51 pm

I think a smile is infinitely sexier than a pout… But that’s just me!

2. July 15, 2018 / 6:08 am

I love the idea of 400 word rants, so creative.You’re beautiful!Love this post<33

• July 15, 2018 / 9:55 am

Thank you! I’m looking forward to writing more of them!
      Jas dx

3. July 15, 2018 / 11:48 am

I think there is nothing more beautiful and I guess sexy than a genuine smile – that means it includes the eyes and the rest of the face.

4. July 15, 2018 / 1:06 pm

Alas, there are more quesrioms than answers…and you’ve asked some impprtant ones. You are correct, it has to do with the conditioning. Nice topic to ponder upon.

5. July 15, 2018 / 1:19 pm

I’ve never actually thought about this but damn this is such a good point. Personally when I see pictures of males, I think smiling is sexier than the smouldering look but I suppose it all depends on the body language too! But I do agree that sexy and moody correlate in images of females. I guess you could say it might be because sex itself is more of a serious thing for most people? Or it might be because by looking moody you’re giving the vibe you don’t want them which makes you more desirable? I don’t know, I’m definitely going to be thinking about this for a while now… great post!
    Alice Xx

• July 15, 2018 / 5:51 pm

Thanks Alice! I feel like it is something to do with the “wanting what you can’t have” thing, which is weird!

6. July 15, 2018 / 1:59 pm

Oh my goodness I love this post! Whenever I’m trying to get some blog/ IG images I try and do the typical attractive stare into the camera and just end up looking like a grumpy idiot! Such a god point well made.
    Soph – https://sophhearts.com x

• July 15, 2018 / 5:52 pm

Awwwww thank you! It’s something I’ve wanted to talk about for a while!

7. July 15, 2018 / 4:50 pm

This is such a good post! I think smiling makes people look happy & confident which I find quite sexy. Happy smiley people look more fun to be around and approachable too. Loved reading your rant Jas, looking forward to read more! 💖 xx
    Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

8. July 15, 2018 / 4:56 pm

Happiness is something I like to celebrate too 😃 I would much rather see pictures of people smiling than pouting. happy IS sexy – we should hashtag that 😉

9. July 15, 2018 / 9:43 pm

I definitely get where your coming from! Personally I love pictures where I see people smiling though I never smile in my own photos because I am self conscious about my teeth haha

• July 18, 2018 / 8:59 pm

I used to be so self conscious about my teeth, I feel you girl!

10. July 15, 2018 / 11:57 pm

Rant away because when I see pouty models (female and male) I just think they are spoiled children. And that is not sexy. Smiles are sexy.

11. July 16, 2018 / 3:18 pm

Isn’t it weird that when asked what we find attractive about someone a lot of the time we’ll say their smile yet smiling isn’t considered sexy?? I love this series idea and I’m looking forward to reading more of them! 🙂 xx

• July 18, 2018 / 9:02 pm

It is weird that we say their smile! And thank you! I’ve got some good posts planned for it, hopefully

12. July 16, 2018 / 3:23 pm

I’ve definitely thought about this before and I just don’t get it. The images where they look happy always seem more captivating to me? I love the concept for this series by the way! And this is such a great topic. I always look ridiculous if I just try and stare at the camera anyway x
    Sophie

• July 18, 2018 / 9:03 pm

I agree! Smiles are so much more captivating for me! And thank you so much, I can’t wait to do more of these