Scared of Scheduled Promotion

Scared of Scheduled Promotion

I’m not going to go into it again, but, if you’ve been here for any period of time you may know that I started this blog on whim to write.  Readers weren’t the height of my concern.  I’d share my posts to Twitter when I remembered, and every so often would post an Instagram.  However, the more I gained readers, the more I felt that I should start making more of an effort.  I started reading up about the world of social media marketing, scheduled tweets and ad packages… And then decided that none of that was for me. I had no issue when other people did it.  I’d read countless articles about how good it was for your traffic.  However, the issue was that I’m not good with being my own cheerleader.

My Own Worries

I’ve always had a problem with shouting about my own accomplishments.  There are definitely things that I’m proud about – my blog in particular – but I worry that others will think that I’m bragging.  I’m a people pleaser, so I often assume I’ll annoy people with any scheduled promotion.  In fact, as I wrote here,  I cringe a bit whenever someone I know in “real life” follows me on Twitter.

Do they know I’m going to publish blog posts?

Do they even know that I blog?

Are they annoyed by the links clogging up their feed and think that I toot my own horn too much and secretly resent me?

All of the above is probably true, and the reason it took me so long to use scheduled tweets.

Forcing My Blog on People

I don’t want everyone thinking that I’m shoving my blog down their throats, because that isn’t it at all.  In fact, when I first started my blog I told a total of 14 people: my groupchat of 10 friends, family and boyfriend.  It’s not that I was trying to hide it; I made myself a promise that I wouldn’t hide this one.  However, I’ve never been the kind of person that contacts every person I have ever met, shouting from the rooftops “HEY I HAVE A BLOG NOW PLEASE FOLLOW”, even though sometimes I guess I would like to be that kind of person. I am so so proud of what I do.  I’ve grown this thing from absolutely nothing.  I recently went self-hosted, and have my own sort of mini business.  However, no matter how proud of this I am, I’m still so concerned with how other people percive me.

Learning to Be My Own Hype Girl

Once I went self-hosted and realised that I actually own this little space on the internet, it dawned on me how amazing this truly was.  I did this all from scratch and I was consistent and that actually is pretty cool.  I deserve to shout that from the rooftops.  I worked so hard for this.  And yet I still really struggle. If you follow me on Twitter then you may have noticed that I’ve been using more scheduled tweets.  I’ll usually promote a post 3 times the day it’s posted and once of twice the day after.  It seems like a weird thing to react to, but I still feel so awkward about it.  Something about it seems really braggy, and makes me wonder if people think if I’m full of myself.  I’m really not.  And I hope people know that.  But at the end of the day, scheduled promotion does bring in quite a bit of traffic.  And, if it’s getting people to view my site then it’s gotta be worth it, right?

I need to be better at hyping myself up.  If I can’t sing praises about my own work then why should anybody else?  I deserve to be proud of my accomplishments.  And I deserve to make sure that my work gets out there.  I want to be better at knowing my worth, and believing in myself and what I’ve done. I’m sorry if my scheduled tweets annoy anyone, I promise that that wasn’t the goal.  I just want to work harder to see that my work is seen, and I try not to overload them much anyway.

How do you feel about scheduled tweets/blog promotion?  Let me know in the comments!

1. August 15, 2018 / 2:35 pm

Scheduled promotion means people have a chance to read your blog posts even when you aren’t actively online – it isn’t a bad thing and most bloggers do this. It is a bit weird to do at first but you do get used to it.

August 15, 2018 / 2:36 pm

Yeah, I understand why it’s good and I’ve started to do it. This was just explaining why I’ve had such an issue getting into it 🙂

• August 15, 2018 / 4:21 pm

Hopefully you’ll start feeling better about it soon 🙂

2. August 15, 2018 / 2:44 pm

My advice for scheduled promo is to just EMBRACE IT! 😛 Helpful, I know.

Honestly, the awkwardness may never wear off, but I’ve found that the more scheduling I do, the better I get at doing it creatively, and that lessens any guilt I feel about tweeting but not really “being there.” I should mention that part of my full-time job is social media promotion, so scheduling tweets and Facebook posts is something I’m very used to – it can sometimes get overwhelming but it also feels good to have to try harder to relay just the right message without being repetitive.

In the end, like you say, it’s all about getting your work and content out there. If you have something you’re proud of, it’s up to you to show it off!

August 15, 2018 / 7:57 pm

Thank you for the comment, you’re so right!

3. August 15, 2018 / 3:20 pm

Scheduled promotion is something I’ve needed to look into for ages… but one of the main things stopping me is exactly this issue. I’m not great at being my own hype machine, and I really don’t want to force my blog on anyone… I feel like, sooner rather than later, I’ll be facing this transition too!

Thanks for sharing, Jas 🙂

August 15, 2018 / 7:57 pm

Good luck when you also face this transition!

4. August 15, 2018 / 8:16 pm

I have had the exact same issue. In the past. Now I love scheduling tweets, but that’s mostly because if I don’t I will not be as active as an online influencer is supposed ton be. I’ve noticed you being more active on social media and i love it! (I actually have your post notifications turned on so I don’t miss tweets). Your supporters love to see your tweets and Instagram posts (and stories, I notice when you do those too) because it keeps us from missing out on anything. Some people won’t get notified unless they see it while scrolling down on social media. I used to cringe when people I knew followed me and I get so uncomfortable with attention. Now, I just accept things for the way they are and schedule tweets ALL the time. I literally sit and schedule tweets until I run out of ideas on what else I could schedule. I think it takes practice when you’re uncomfortable. Luckily I was already dealing with trying to be more active on social media before I ever created my blog! Hopefully you’ll grow more comfortable because we welcome more jas on our timelines!

August 15, 2018 / 8:18 pm

Omg you have my tweet notifications turned on?! That’s so lovely omg I didn’t think anyone would do that for me! Flo this was actually the sweetest comment and means so much to me <3

5. August 15, 2018 / 8:58 pm

I’ve never done the scheduled promotion, but I really like the idea of it especially if you aren’t active it still gives a chance for people to read your posts. Also I’m new to your blog and I’m already loving it!!

August 15, 2018 / 8:58 pm

Awwww thank you so much, I’m glad that you love it!

6. Becca
    August 15, 2018 / 9:01 pm

I don’t personally schedule posts but do post about my posts a lot ahhaha. I’m not against scheduled posts because it can be a good way to target people you normally might not (for instance in the middle of the night for you).

Becca /// http://www.beccasloveforlife.blogspot.com

August 15, 2018 / 9:02 pm

Yeah, I want to use them more because I don’t really post about my posts a lot and I am trying not to spend all day on social media. Thank you for your comment!

7. August 15, 2018 / 10:51 pm

Jasmine I’m the same way, I used to feel like I was bragging or annoying others but truth is without scheduled tweets it’s hard to promote your blog manually and expect a ton of traffic unless you have 20k + followers. I think when you put yourself out there in a genuine and sincere way people will see that because real recognize real. Naturally people will tend to think the best when you’re giving your best. Don’t worry about it, it’s kinda a necessary tatic in out industry. 🤗

Natonya | http://www.justnatonya.wordpress.com

August 15, 2018 / 10:54 pm

Thank you so much for the comment. Yeah, I’m hoping that people realise that I’m still genuine.

• August 16, 2018 / 7:34 pm

You are truly genuine Jas nothing but good vibes from you…point. blank. period. <3

August 18, 2018 / 11:31 pm

Thank you so much, that means a lot <3

8. August 16, 2018 / 12:43 am

Don’t worry, it is odd at first always posting about your blog, but it’s like you said, it’s your own corner of the internet. Be proud of what you post and put it out there for the world to see and come up on people’s radar. I’m just wondering, how do you do scheduled posts on Twitter? I’m still kinda new to this and I can’t figure it out! Xx

August 18, 2018 / 11:39 pm

Awwwww thank you, I’m getting better at it slowly! I use tweetdeck to schedule my posts (Google it and it should be the first hit), it’s pretty self explanatory, but if you don’t understand it feel free to message me on Twitter and I’ll help!

• August 20, 2018 / 12:39 am

Aw thank you so much! That’s so helpful xx

9. August 16, 2018 / 3:40 pm

I really need to get into scheduled promo. From a reader’s point of view, I really have no problem with it! On some of my busier days I only manage to check Twitter maybe once or twice, but I don’t want to miss out on posts, so it can be helpful to have a few tweets in case I miss earlier ones. In all honesty, I just haven’t gotten around to working it out (lazyyyy)

-pixieskiesblog.wordpress.com xo

August 18, 2018 / 11:36 pm

Haha I can see the lazy part of it honestly! I’ve only just started doing it and it’s far more effort than I thought it would be!

10. abbiejadewanders
    August 16, 2018 / 5:51 pm

I struggle with self promotion so much but just schedule tweets on buffer and then just try not to think about it. I am exactly the same when it comes to anyone that knows me, I think ooh I wonder if they know about my blog… I don’t want to think that I am being annoying! Your blog is awesome – keep doing what your doing you should be proud 🙂

abbiejadewanders.co.uk

August 18, 2018 / 11:34 pm

Awww thank you so much, your blog is amazing too!

11. August 17, 2018 / 11:41 am

I always feel a little awkward when I’m promoting my blog posts, too! I am fine with other people doing it, but there is something in me that also feels like I’m annoying people when I do, especially my IRL friends that don’t have a blog. But I completely agree that we shouldn’t feel that way, and we should be proud of what we have achieved and grown by ourselves! Sometimes my brain and anxiety can completely cloud my better judgement, though 😩

Beka | http://www.bekadaisies.com

August 18, 2018 / 11:31 pm

You’re right, we should be proud of eachother!

12. graphicsbysoph
    August 17, 2018 / 8:06 pm

It is a little strange at first scheduling tweets but once you get used to it it doesn’t seem as bad.

Sophie

August 17, 2018 / 8:27 pm

Yeah, I’m learning that

13. August 17, 2018 / 8:15 pm

I sometimes feel the same about scheduling tweets promoting my blog, just promoting my blog anyway, even retweeting too many “blogger” stuff because I don’t want to annoy people that I follow on my timeline, especially friends. But like you said, we all deserve for our work to be seen, and scheduling tweets/ promoting your blog really does bring traffic so it is a really fab thing to do! I wouldn’t worry about people thinking you are like full of yourself because we all have to love ourselves and promote ourselves haha!! Great post xx

August 17, 2018 / 8:28 pm

Thanks so much Shar, yeah I’m the same with all blogger stuff! Just takes a while to get used to it haha

14. August 17, 2018 / 8:29 pm

I actually felt the exact same way when istatted my blog I actually felt embarrassed to say I had a blog and put it all over Twitter but now I’m embracing it! And you should too your blog is great and should be shared everywhere! Xx

August 17, 2018 / 8:36 pm

Awwww thank you so much!

15. August 17, 2018 / 8:30 pm

Hi, I think we’re the same person…
    I totally get you here. While my blog twitter is strictly for blogging purposes (even though I’ve kinda ditched my personal account) I still get really uncomfortable scheduling tweets and promotion. I have no idea why but I’m constantly like “how much is enough/ too much? Is this annoying? Do people think I’m rude if I don’t reply straight away?” So I schedule maybe 2 or 3 then forget about it. I need to start x

Sophie

August 17, 2018 / 8:43 pm

Omg Sophie I was in that pattern of scheduling 2 or 3 posts and then forgetting about it for so long! In fact, I’m only just getting out of that mode!

16. August 17, 2018 / 9:00 pm

Yes, to this! Good on you girl, you deserve to be proud of your achievements…that’s not bragging at all! When there’s so many thousands of people that we follow on Twitter, it’s very likely that we miss a lot…so when we feel like WE’RE being OTT, it’s probably coz we’re the only ones seeing every single one of our tweets! I’ve only really been using Twitter for promotion the last 4 weeks or so, and I’m definitely still learning, FULL DISCLOSURE, I’m no expert! 😂 But you do right. And you do right to be proud of your work! Keep at it 💪🏻

Lynette x | https://lifewithlynette.com

August 18, 2018 / 11:27 pm

Awwww thank you! You’re right about the twitter thing, it’s actually very reassuring!

17. brooke
    August 17, 2018 / 9:17 pm

I find scheduling tweets two to three times every other day works best for me. I don’t want to become that person that spams everyone😂 Most of the time I forget to promote the fact that I’ve published new content.

Brooke x

August 17, 2018 / 9:19 pm

Yeah, I used to forget all the time!

18. August 17, 2018 / 9:19 pm

This is actually really reassuring to read Jas. I’ve never scheduled a tweet and only tweet my latest blog once 🙊. I do a lot of comment swaps though so get my posts seen that way instead. Scheduling tweets might be something I try in the future though, it would be especially useful if I was going on holiday, thank you for sharing your thoughts 💖 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

August 18, 2018 / 11:26 pm

Awwww I’m so glad that you gound this reassuring, I thought I was alone in thinking like this for so long!

19. August 17, 2018 / 10:09 pm

It can be hard to self promote! It was one of the things I really struggled with for sure and I still probably dont fo enough of it. You definitely deserve to be proud of and promote your hard work though so good on you for fighting through your doubts and doing it!

August 18, 2018 / 11:25 pm

Awwww thank you, I’m slowly getting better at it!

20. August 18, 2018 / 3:50 am

I think it is great when people own up to their accomplishments and talk about it! I like to hear that doing something actually works and is worthwhile. Haha, I know that feeling when it comes to IRL people finding my blog. It’s great that you’ve learned to be your own hype girl. Keep it up – you got people supporting you as well~

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

August 18, 2018 / 11:21 pm

Nancy you honestly comment the sweetest things, thank you so much!

21. September 5, 2018 / 8:49 pm

I used to be exactly the same. When I first started my blog about 2 years ago, I barely told anybody about it and I wasn’t even involved in the twitter blogging community. It wasn’t until about a year ago that I suddenly just stopped caring about what people thought, and now I share my links everywhere! I do worry sometimes that scheduling tweets everyday may annoy some people, especially non-bloggers who follow me, but like you’ve said, I find it does bring me results so I think it’s worth it!

September 9, 2018 / 6:34 pm

Yeah, it’s definitely worth it!