So I Got a Dog… Kinda

So I Got a Dog… Kinda

If you’ve been here a while, you’ve probably heard me mention my three cats once or twice.  I love them with all my heart; in fact one of them is me in cat form…  We both take a while to warm up to knew people, she has her own panic room for when it rains, she’s obseesed with my laptop and we share my room.  I guess in the past I would have classed myself as a “cat person”, but the issue is I also love dogs.  One particular dog if I’m being specific…

This is Daisy.

Daisy, my friends dog, having a walk.Daisy belongs to one of my best friends Crystal, who also has a blog.  Daisy has been my adopted child since we first met.  The first time I ever slept over at Crystals, I was on my period and had really bad cramps while sleeping on her sofa.  I woke up in the middle of the night, feeling completely comfortable and at ease, looking down to find Daisy, sleeping calmly cradled by my stomach, acting as my live hot water bottle.  From that day I had adopted her as my own, even if Crystal didn’t know that I had.

Daisy is the biggest bundle of joy that I know, and she makes me smile everytime I see her.  So, when Crystal messaged to say that her family were going on holiday for a month and needed someone to dog sit, I jumped at the chance.  A week into August, Daisy was at my door, panting with a ridiculous amount of excitement, that was easily matched by me.

Initial Thoughts: Can I care for a dog?

Like I said, I have 3 cats.  Before I got them, I had another cat.  I’ve never had a dog, nor really been around one constantly.  I knew, but didn’t fully register how high maintenance they are compared to cats.  I remembered about the walking, and going outside to use the toilet and constant love and affection.  However, I forgot about the bathing, and the poo cleaning.  We (Okay… my dad) empty out the cats’ litter box around twice a week.  You have to clean up multiple poos, every single day.

My cats are pretty affectionate (Despite what the cat haters might think), but my God, dogs are on another level.  Daisy’s a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, which, after some Googling, I found are nicknamed “love sponges”.  Why?  Because they’re highly affectionate, and rely on being around people.  So much so that they are likely to develop separation anxiety when left alone.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s possibly the cutest thing I’ve ever heard, but it’s also a lot of effort.

So how did it go?

The First Poop Clean…

Okay, so, of course her poop stank.  I knew that it would, but it honestly wasn’t half as smelly as I thought it would be.  Also, when your hands in a bag, you can kind of forget what you’re doing.  However, what I did notice, is that when you pick up poop from grass, it doesn’t really all come off in one…  The perfectionist in me didn’t like this.

Since then, it’s pretty much become second nature, and I’m not phased about it.  However, I have found that I find spare poop bags everywhere.  Hoodie pocket?  Spare poop bag.  3 different handbags?  Spare poop bag.  Back jean pocket?  Spare poop bag.  Hey, at least I’m prepared.

Having a dog is pretty fun!The Attention…

In terms of giving her attention, I’ve found that pretty easy.  She’s a bundle of love, and so giving her the love that she deserves is really not that hard.  Cats are more affectionate than people think, but dogs are very outwardly affectionate.  And, I have to say, I could get used to it.

One thing that does, however, stress me out, is she makes me feel bad for leaving her. The first day we were supposed to leave her at home, she looked so excited because she thought she was leaving with us, and my heart almost broke.  Everybody felt it, to the point where my mum, the self-proclaimed disliker of all pets, voluntarily put her in the car and took her to work.  She whimpers everytime we all look like we’re leaving without her, and I’m too weak for it.  I honestly can’t do it.  I want to scoop her up into my arms and never let her go.  WHY can’t more places be dog friendly?!  I have felt personally victimised over the last few weeks.

The First Bath…

We’ve been bathing her outside, because my mum refuses to let us do it in the bath.  Luckily, the sunny weather has allowed for it.  The first time I did it, she ran from the hose with striking fear, and we ended up giving our garden a nice little shower.  However, when drying, she sat peacefully on my lap with the towel wrapped around her as I dried her.  This was the moment that I decided she is the most precious thing in the world and I’m never giving her back.

By the second bath, she was far calmer, and took it like a real champ.  I felt maternal pride and instantly wanted to hug her.  I’ve become a dog mother.  I guess this is my life now.

Do you think I’ll lose a friend if I kidnap her dog?

I'm falling in love with this dog.I’m entirely serious (Sorry Crystal).  She’s too precious to give up.  In fact, as I write this, she’s asleep, snoring at my feet (She sure loves to snore).  I’ve developed this indescribable love for her and I honestly don’t know what to do with it.  We’ve become attached at the hip, and I recently found out that she sleeps outside my room last night, because she clearly also feels this love.  She was my baby before, but that bond’s been reinforced like crazy.  Everyone in my family has fallen head over heels for her, and honestly, I knew that they would.

So, am I now a dog person?

Like I said at the beginning, I love both cats and dogs.  However, I never saw myself getting a dog because they seemed far too high maintenance.  After spending a month with Daisy, I’m torn on whether I could get a dog.  You see, I love Daisy with all my heart, and I would happily keep her forever.  However, I don’t want a dog.  I wan’t Daisy.  Sure, I could probably form a bond with another dog, but right now Daisy is the only one I can imagine.

It’s weird how quickly and strongly you can form a connection with an animal.  It’s going to be sad giving her back next week, but I’m so glad I was able to look after her in the first place.

So, cat person or dog person?  Let me know in the comments!

Pinterest Graphic:

1. September 1, 2018 / 8:50 am

I’m a cat person with a penchant for other people’s dogs 😂

September 1, 2018 / 2:48 pm

Haha I think that may be where I stand at the moment!

• September 1, 2018 / 5:12 pm

🐈🐕

2. September 1, 2018 / 3:12 pm

Oh my! Daisy is so stinkin’ cute! I’d want to keep her too 🙂

I am a dog person, always will be. I like cats too, but other people’s cats, haha.

September 1, 2018 / 3:20 pm

Isn’t she?! I’m so in love with her!

3. September 1, 2018 / 3:56 pm

Dog person 100% – also allergic to cats! Maybe we’ll be reading that you got one of your own soon?!

September 1, 2018 / 9:21 pm

Hahaha possible! My sister is desperate for her own dog!

4. September 1, 2018 / 7:25 pm

Daisy is so damn cute! I grew up with a cat but I’ve always been a bit of a dog person, it’s just never fit with my family’s lifestyle. The main thing I miss about an old relationship of mine is dog-sitting on the weekends… is that bad?

September 1, 2018 / 9:21 pm

She’s honestly the cutest! And no haha, I reckon I’d miss the dog the most too 😉

5. September 1, 2018 / 9:34 pm

I have two dogs and they are the best thing that have ever happened to me. I always use my small one as a live hot water bottle or a cuddle buddy when I have cramp. I also find that my dogs have helped so much with anxiety!

September 1, 2018 / 9:36 pm

Dogs make the best hot water bottles! Also, I can definitely see the anxiety angle – they’re so comfortable!

6. venus aby
    September 1, 2018 / 10:11 pm

Daisy is SO CUTE!! This post made my smile so much!! I’d say I’m more of a dog person, dogs are just SO ADORABLE, especially when they’re small puppies!!

September 1, 2018 / 10:19 pm

Awww thank you! She’s honestly the cutest dog I know!

7. abbiejadewanders
    September 2, 2018 / 10:46 am

Dogs are the best. Daisy looks and sounds absolutely adorable. Thankyou for sharing, this is such a lovely post x

abbiejadewanders.co.uk

September 2, 2018 / 11:15 am

Awww thank you for reading!

8. September 2, 2018 / 11:07 am

Daisy looks lovely, I’ve never been a dog person but if you find the right one it’s easy to change your mind. That’s what happened with me! Just enjoy your time with daisy and you never know, you may find another one like her one day!

September 2, 2018 / 11:16 am

Yeah, I’ve found that the right dog makes it easy!

9. September 2, 2018 / 1:22 pm

Omg! How cute is Daisy!! :’) xx

September 2, 2018 / 7:50 pm

Honestly, she’s the best!

10. September 2, 2018 / 4:00 pm

I totally relate to this because I’ve never understood why anyone has to be either a cat person or dog person, I love them both and would never pick! You’d definitely lose a friend if you stole her but I think it might be worth it as she’s super cute haha!

Soph – https://sophhearts.com x

September 2, 2018 / 6:45 pm

Haha yeah, I’ve never understood the need to choose too! They’re both so cute!

11. September 2, 2018 / 5:34 pm

I am the same! I’m a total cat person but wouldn’t mind having a dog. Dogs can be very high maintenance – especially with taking them out to go potty. Oh man, I know that sad look that dogs give you when you’re leaving. It’s a trap!!! It’s good that you love Daisy :).

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

12. September 2, 2018 / 6:43 pm

Daisy is so precious, just look at those eyes! I am not surprised you want to keep her for yourself. I would be just as torn as you having to choose between a friend and her dog. Haha!

September 2, 2018 / 7:33 pm

Hahaha I’m glad you understand my struggle, thank you!

13. September 2, 2018 / 7:19 pm

I am definitely a dog person but I think cats are cute too. I love Daisy!

September 2, 2018 / 7:35 pm

Thank you, I find her so cute!

14. September 2, 2018 / 7:32 pm

I am both a dog and a cat person. I have had both over my life though currently only have a dog – mostly because my daughter has a budgie and while some cats are fine with birds I’d feel terrible if I introduced one now and something happened. Daisy sounds like such a sweet little dog and your friend is really lucky to have someone around that is happy to watch her when needed, that’s the only downside to having dogs, cats are self sufficient enough to be okay on their own for short overnight trips and such but a dog has to be let out and finding dogsitters can be a trail!

September 2, 2018 / 7:40 pm

Yeah, I’d say that cats are definitely more self-sufficient!

15. September 2, 2018 / 7:59 pm

Great post—I have one of each and I love them both!

September 2, 2018 / 8:00 pm

They’re both such good animals!

16. September 2, 2018 / 8:15 pm

I’m the opposite, I used to think I was only a dog person but now I’ve realised that I love both dogs and cats so much! Who can choose?!

-Jemina Marina

September 2, 2018 / 8:19 pm

Honestly! There’s no need to choose, they’re both amazing!

17. September 2, 2018 / 8:17 pm

Although I love (some) dogs, I am more of a cat person. I adopted a kitten not so long ago. I think dogs are amazing but they are also so much work!

September 2, 2018 / 8:21 pm

Yeah, dogs are definitely a lot more work!

18. September 2, 2018 / 8:29 pm

Oh my gosh, Daisy looks adorable! I used to prefer cats over dogs however after I dogsitted a couple of months ago for some friends of mine, I now consider myself both a dog and cat person. I loved reading this!

September 2, 2018 / 8:30 pm

Sounds like you had such a similar experience to me! I used to think I was a cat person, but Daisy sure has changed my mind!

19. eviebraithwaite
    September 2, 2018 / 8:51 pm

Oh Daisy’s absolutely adorable! While I’ve never had a cat or a dog, I’ve always been a dog person! They seem so much more affectionate. I really enjoyed reading this! ✨

Evie x | https://eviejayne.co.uk

September 2, 2018 / 8:52 pm

They are definitely very affectionate! Thank you so much, she’s honestly the cutest <3

20. September 2, 2018 / 8:52 pm

So fun story, we had a cat when I was young and it scratched me in the eye and ever since then I’ve really disliked them. I just can’t seem to warm to them at all, even cute little kittens I’m really wary about… I am quite honestly completely in love with my dog. She is my best friend, I’d take her everywhere with me if I could and I’m sure she’d happily come too. I’d be so heartbroken giving the dog back if I were you!! And she looks like such a bloody cutie. Nacho sleeps with me almost every night and it’s so comforting waking up to her snuggled into me hehe. I loved reading this post and you’ll find poop bags absolutely everywhere until that one day when you ESPECIALLY need one haha!
    Alice Xx

September 2, 2018 / 8:56 pm

I got scratched in the stomach by my Grandmas cat when I was really young, and I disliked cats for the longest time! However, after a while they grew on me again! It’s going to be so heartbreaking giving Daisy back, honestly we’ve bonded so unbelievably much <3

21. September 2, 2018 / 9:41 pm

Love the look of your blog dogs are the best we have two they get you

September 2, 2018 / 9:50 pm

Thank you, and yeah dogs are great!

September 2, 2018 / 9:51 pm

I’m convinced they can too! They’re the best!

22. pinarrawlins
    September 2, 2018 / 9:50 pm

I am more of a dog person even though I’ve never had a dog! My daughter is at the age now where she keeps asking if we can get a dog. The only thing putting me off is there need for attention xo

Pinar | http://www.beautybakingbella.com

September 2, 2018 / 9:51 pm

Yeah, the attention can be very time consuming!

23. Ellyn Rebecca
    September 2, 2018 / 10:02 pm

I have always been a cat person, but there is one dog that has a special place in my heart – my old boss’ dog Ewan! I miss him so much! There was one day when we were working in the front room (she worked at home) and he lent his head against my leg and my heart just burst! In the future, I would always choose a cat over a dog, but there will always be a space for Ewan!

Ellyn xx | Life Of A Beauty Nerd

September 2, 2018 / 10:06 pm

Awwww that’s so cute! Yeah, I feel like Daisy is my Ewan!

24. September 2, 2018 / 10:05 pm

This was so lovely to read! I’m a dog person through and through and Daisy sounds like she has a lot in common with Hugo. He has that ‘don’t leave me’ look nailed too and it breaks my heart every single time I have to open that door and leave. He’s also really loving and cuddly. My little guy is honestly my best friend, and you become attached to them so quickly! I can totally see why you’d want to keep her. You sound like you’d be a great dog mum x

Sophie

September 2, 2018 / 10:06 pm

Awwww thank you so much Sophie! Who knows, maybe one day I will actually be a dog mum haha

25. September 3, 2018 / 12:55 am

I am a dog person, but I like cats as well…specific cats. The cats that are warm and friendly make me want a cat. The standoffish ones make me want to run to the nearest dog…even if it will bite off my left arm.

Congrats on surviving the past few weeks with the dog. Daisy sounds amazing. And once you hand her back over to her owner, it will be painful, but you will soon be super happy to be relieved of all the maintenance associated with having a dog. You’ll be able to leave your house and not be worried about the dog being depressed because you left her behind…and no more poop bags in your hoodie. That’s an added bonus.

September 3, 2018 / 11:49 am

Awww thank you! Daisy is adorable, and I’m so happy I’ve had this opportunity

26. September 3, 2018 / 4:38 am

I have 3 cats as well. I’ve had cats pretty much my entire life, but I can’t really imagine ever having a dog. It’s not that I don’t like them, but I feel like I relate more to cats. LOL.

September 3, 2018 / 11:50 am

Yeah, I feel like I relate more to cats too!

27. September 3, 2018 / 9:36 am

My Bestfriend just recently got a dog and it’s the cutest thing ever! She’s been down lately and been wanting to get a dog for a really long time so she got one for herself. I must admit dogs can really cheer you up.

Sheena | http://www.sheenalovessunsets.com

September 3, 2018 / 11:50 am

Dogs are really great for cheering people up!

28. September 3, 2018 / 9:59 am

Haha this was such a fab post, Jas! Daisy looks so sweet! I’m definitely a dog person through and through and I have a dog myself. I’ve always felt awkward around cats… like I feel awkward around strangers. It’s weird, it’s like they judge you the second you walk through the door. I’ve never known how to pick them up or where to stroke them! I think you’d be great with more dogs 🙂 You’d LOVE mine!

September 3, 2018 / 11:51 am

I have to say, dogs are definitely easier to get to know quicker! Ahhh now I want to see your dog!

29. Roxie Watt
    September 3, 2018 / 10:07 am

Daisy is such a cutie. I’m a dog AND cat person. I have one of each and they are both my babies. My cat is sassy and really independent and my dog is great for a soppy cuddle at the end of the day!

Roxie | thebeautifulbluebird.com

September 3, 2018 / 11:52 am

They both sound adorable! Ahhh I just love pets!

30. September 3, 2018 / 1:11 pm

Awww!!! What a lovely lovely dog! Such a cutie and you’re so lucky to have bonded with her. She sounds like she’s loads of fun. x

September 3, 2018 / 6:56 pm

She’s honestly the sweetest!

31. September 5, 2018 / 2:48 pm

I think it really doesn’t matter what pet you should get. What matters is you treat them like a friend and a new family member. Hooray for the new dog!

StyleSprinter Blog by Katya Bychkova

September 10, 2018 / 12:18 am

Yeah I agree, who needs to be a cat or a dog person 😉

September 9, 2018 / 11:41 pm

Awwww thank you! I want one too so badly now!