Freshers’ Flu | 400 Word Rant

Freshers’ Flu | 400 Word Rant

Hello all, I’m ill and angry, so it’s time for another 400 word rant, in which I unleash my anger in 400 words or less.

Topic of Today: Freshers’ Flu

Words: 349

WHY does Freshers’ flu exist?  WHO decided that a bunch of people moving to a new place didn’t have enough to worry about, and also had to encounter an unavoidable bout of illness?  I’m not even a Fresher anymore, please tell me why every single year I have to halt my preparations and mope around in bed for a while.

The main issue I have is that I don’t have the time.  I have reading lists, appointments to make, blog events, a room to decorate.  Do you know what I’ve done instead today (Or, in your case, yesterday)?  I’ve laid in my bed with a roll of toilet paper and tried to be productive to no avail.  My mind says I have no choice but to work, and my body is straight up saying no.  It’s just rude if I’m being quite honest.

Uni houses are cold enough as it is (Separate rant coming soon), I don’t need the chill of my illness annoying me too. The last thing I need right now is a sore throat and itchy eyes and don’t even get me started on the stuffy nose.  Need to sleep?  Impossible, can’t breathe.  Want to shut your mouth for more than 2 seconds?  Impossible, can’t breathe.  Can’t remember what it means to smell something?  Get used to it buddy.

I’ve barely even fraternized with freshers this year:  I haven’t gone clubbing yet, I’ve stayed in my house and minded my own business, and yet Freshers’ flu still found me.  Honestly, why do bad things always happen to good people?  If you can’t tell already I am more than a little bit mad.  I had things to do and places to be and here I am instead.  I wish I could give you some tips for avoiding the bug, but honestly there is no way.  For 3 years I have endured the epidemic that is Freshers’ flu, and for 3 years I have lay there with my blood boiling.

Freshers’ flu, you may have won the battle, but… Okay, you’ll probably win the war too.  I’m frail.

And there you have it.  If you can’t already tell, I’m ill, hence the missed upload yesterday.  But, if it helps, this is what I wrote while bed ridden, so enjoy my pain.

Any students out there, are yet to get Freshers’ flu?  Let me know in the comments,

1. September 25, 2018 / 5:12 pm

Get well soon honey. I’ll start university next year and I’m pretty nervous about getting freshers’ flu. It seems bad tho🙄
    Have a lovely day!
    Kisses,
    Sima x | http://www.styleglint.com

September 26, 2018 / 7:02 pm

Thank you! Don’t worry too much haha, it’s pretty much inevitable but you make it through 😉

2. September 25, 2018 / 8:19 pm

I hope you feel better soon lovely! I’m lucky enough that having not gone to uni I’ve never had to experience ‘freshers flu’ however with this horrible weather we’re having at the minute I have lost my voice which makes my job very hard considering I work with children all day! It’s so annoying I completely feel your pain!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

September 26, 2018 / 7:08 pm

Thanks so much! I hope you get your voice back soon!

3. September 25, 2018 / 8:22 pm

Freshers flu is very annoying! I haven’t got it this year but I think that’s probably because I’m staying at home. Hope you’re better soon!

September 26, 2018 / 7:09 pm

Thank you, I’m already feeling a little better! I hope you continue to avoid it this season!

4. September 25, 2018 / 9:10 pm

felt this post on a personal level! i’m one of the people who gets a cold in their chest so my coughs for awful! every year i get them without fail, most annoying thing is when a roommate or someone makes a comment about how i’ve been coughing all night. AS IF, im choosing to cough up a lung instead of sleeping! I hope you feel better soon hun xx

mich // simplymich.com

September 26, 2018 / 7:14 pm

Ahhh I hate comments like that! You didn’t choose to cough! They need to calm down with the accusations!

5. September 25, 2018 / 11:14 pm

I love this, ahaha, I actually can’t stop smiling, I relate SO much. It’s just so flippin’ RUDE!!! Hahaha, get well soon!!

September 26, 2018 / 7:16 pm

Awwww I’m so glad it made you smile, I hoped someone would relate in a funny way!

September 26, 2018 / 7:17 pm

Thank you! I’ll check out your post!

6. envyfisher
    September 26, 2018 / 8:13 pm

Oh my God, this post is life. I went back to university after a gap year, still live at home though, don’t really hang out with anyone, just go to classes and leave again AND STILL I got freshers’ flu. I’m so done with this nonsense already. Maybe it’s just me, but it’s also made 100% of my motivation evaporate 🙁

x Envy
    verdwaaldinvertaling.blogspot.com

September 26, 2018 / 9:05 pm

Hahaha I’m so glad that you could relate! Freshers’ flu is the bane of my existence at the moment :/

7. September 26, 2018 / 8:14 pm

I am literally just started to feel slightly better from my freshers flu! Well I think it was freshers flu, I haven’t seen any students, I’m not a fresher, I am a third year, but getting flu around this time is freshers flu right? I bloody hate it! and SAME, I haven’t got time for it, I have got too much stuff to do I can’t afford to have days in bed! I hope you feel better soon girl!!<3 xx

September 26, 2018 / 9:26 pm

I haven’t seem any students yet either and I’m also in third year! It’s a medical mystery and yet it always happens!

8. September 26, 2018 / 8:34 pm

Get well soon!, I haven’t been to uni myself but all of my friends have suffered, one of them has her suspicions that it’s nearly always door knobs so she tried to not touch any (lol) and I’ll give her credit she wasn’t ill after that haha.
    Charlie | http://www.charlieswonderland.co.uk

September 26, 2018 / 9:55 pm

Oooo maybe it is doorknobs! I’ve never really thought about it but will avoid them for here on out haha

9. September 26, 2018 / 9:20 pm

I can relate this this post so much since this is how I feel whenever I get sick haha. Honestly when will science just give us a cure for the flu?? I hope you feel better soon!

September 26, 2018 / 10:15 pm

Thank you so much! Honestly, a cure would be ideal

10. September 26, 2018 / 10:59 pm

Yikes lady! I hate to hear that. Hopefully you won’t have it too long. I feel you though. Getting sick is so rude. Get better!

September 27, 2018 / 7:59 pm

Haha thank you, I hope so too!

11. gmsmith1980
    September 26, 2018 / 11:25 pm

Feel better soon. I can relate, even though it’s still primary school and not Uni. My kids have all been sick at least twice since school started back. You will get through this and then push on through.

September 27, 2018 / 7:59 pm

Awwww! Well I can relate to your kids, luckily I have since recovered haha

12. September 27, 2018 / 8:08 am

I heard that when you have a big change in your life it can make you ill, like starting a new year of school or moving. I get it every time I start a new job haha! Get well soon.

September 27, 2018 / 8:00 pm

Ahhhh that makes sense! How weird!

13. September 27, 2018 / 12:41 pm

I don’t have ‘freshers’ flu but I’m in bed with the ‘workers’ flu. Hope you feel better soon

September 27, 2018 / 8:01 pm

Awww thank you, hope you recover from workers flu!

September 27, 2018 / 8:02 pm

Thank you, I’m already feeling better 🙂

14. September 29, 2018 / 9:57 pm

I took to spraying everything with a Dettol dry mist spray in my uni house and I managed to avoid freshers flu the whole three years! I still keep it to hand for when my current housemate so much as sneezes! You have to invest in some lol x (hope you feel better soon)

September 30, 2018 / 6:40 pm

And it worked?! Omg I’m going to try that, thank you!

• September 30, 2018 / 8:07 pm

I don’t know if it was just that of course, but it worked for me! I still like it and now they make a pink one that smells like berries! LOVE it x

15. September 30, 2018 / 10:55 pm

I hope you’re feeling better now! Please don’t hate me for saying this but I actually managed all 3 years without getting freshers’ flu once. I’m sorry you’ve had to endure it for three years now! I have no idea how so many people seem to get ill at the start of the year? Who is this diseased person trying to kill off every student? One of life’s most important, yet least acknowledged questions, I feel x

Sophie

October 3, 2018 / 7:34 pm

Thanks so much Sophie! Also, I’m very jealous that you never got Freshers’ flu…

16. October 21, 2018 / 5:01 pm

The joys of studying online 🙂 I’ve been fine so far!
    Seriously though hope you didn’t have it for too much longer! X