Why I Hate Blogmas | Blogmas Day 3

Why I Hate Blogmas | Blogmas Day 3

I’ll admit, the title is fairly dramatic.  I don’t actually hate Blogmas, I just have always hated the idea of me doing it… until now.  I love reading some other people’s posts, and I think it’s a cute idea for a Christmas challenge.  However, there were reasons why I objected to it in the past.  I vaguely mentioned these in my introduction, but I felt that I should go into more detail.

I want to stress that these in no way apply to everyone.  In fact, I couldn’t even give you specific examples of who I’m talking about – the last Blogmas was a whole year ago.  However, in the (almost) 2 years I’ve been blogging, these are things that have put me off of Blogmas.

Stale Content

Some people do Blogmas really well.  In fact, there are a lot of people who I really admire when it comes to this time of the year!  However, I feel like there’s quite a lot of content for the sake of content going round.  It’s understandable – Blogmas is 25 days of daily blogging about one particular theme, and it can be hard to keep that original when you’ve got such a tight subject matter.  I just find that some people’s Blogmas content becomes flat and repetitive as they scratch around for ideas, and I’ve always been worried that would happen to me.

Solution…

This year, I’ve sat down and planned everything from an early stage, jotting down ideas in advance to make sure that Blogmas was actually feasible for me.  In fact, I’m currently writing this post on the 13th of September… Hi future Jas!

Gift Guides

My issue actually isn’t with gift guides themselves.  In fact, I’ve done a few gift guides in the past.  I probably will throw at least one in this Blogmas series if I’m being entirely honest.  However, my issue is with the gift guides that become excessive and more of the same.  I’ve found people dragging them out in the past: you get the “for him”, “for her”, “for the girlfriend”, “for the pet”, “for the great-aunt”, “for the stranger down the street”…  I could go on.  One or two, I understand as they’re a great little Blogmas addition.  However, the more you do, the more things can become tedious and excessive.

Solution…

I have an idea for a gift guide coming soon, which is slightly different.  I say slightly in Italics because it’s very likely that people have done it before, but I just thought it was a little different.

Less Quality

This is less something I’ve noticed about others, and more something that I’ve worried about for myself.  I don’t know if it shows, but the whole process (Writing, editing, photos, tags and categories, scheduled tweets) takes me around 3-4 hours on a short post…  Balancing blogging with Uni is hard enough, but balancing it with 25 days of daily content seems near impossible.  Part of me worried that I wouldn’t be able to put the same amount of effort into my posts.  I refuse to sacrifice the quality of my content, so it never appealed to me.

Solution…

Like I said, I started writing these Blogmas posts in August, planning most of them 3/4 months in advance.  This way, same effort and less stress.

Oversaturation

I don’t necessarily do this “for the views” but it is annoying when you put work into something and no one views it.  I usually post 2-3 days apart and that gives my posts enough time for them to reach the benchmark that I set for them.  However, I’m worried that if I post everyday, people will be overwhelmed and none of the posts will do as well.

Solution…

Honestly, there isn’t one.  Just gotta make the best content I can and hope that people enjoy it enough to stick around (Please stick around!)

And there you have it, the reasons that I have hated Blogmas in the past.  Please don’t incite any hate in the comments during this jolly time of year, but I would love to hear your own opinions on Blogmas!  Especially since this is the first year that I’m doing it.

What are your opinions on Blogmas?  Did you agree/disagree with any of my points?  Let me know in the comments!

22 days til Christmas!

1. December 3, 2018 / 8:00 am

I honestly had some of the same worries about starting blogmas, especially having stale content that’s been overdone. Though I did pre-plan including posts that fit my blogs theme so hopefully I won’t run into that problem!

December 3, 2018 / 9:57 am

Hopefully we’ll both avoid the stale content!

2. CherishingFlo
    December 3, 2018 / 2:00 pm

I break up my blog creations into like different tasks each day. So I have a day just for outlining, a day just for pictures, and a day just for writing. Which makes it a little easier for me cause the day I write I batch write cause I usually batch outline and then add the pictures and links as I go. I’m glad you took quality into consideration cause I also feel like that’s something that’s missing a lot during blogmas. People just be putting stuff out so they’ll achieve blogmas and that can be a bit of a turn off

December 31, 2018 / 11:49 pm

Ooooo I like the idea of the different tasks! I might try that!

3. December 3, 2018 / 7:51 pm

Chick I totally agree. I feel as though unless you are organised in advance like you said people are just firing stuff out there to say they posted everyday.

My Blogmas attempt this year is just a couple posts on a weekend related to Christmas. I don’t want to over do it.

Shona Marie xo

December 31, 2018 / 11:48 pm

Hope your Blogmas attempt went well!

4. December 3, 2018 / 8:32 pm

I’m new to all this so I didn’t know blogmas was a thing! To be honest, I’m going to continue with my ignorance, it sounds like too much hard work!!

December 31, 2018 / 11:46 pm

Honestly, it was so much hard work!

5. December 3, 2018 / 8:56 pm

I have the same worries as you which is why I’m doing 12 days, with a day in between each post. To be honest, I need the break between and I don’t want to post content I am not 100% happy with just for the sake of it. Hope it goes well for you! Good luck!

Imogen x https://imogenchloe.co.uk

December 31, 2018 / 11:46 pm

Hope your 12 days went well!

6. December 3, 2018 / 8:57 pm

i really enjoyed this post! i really commend those who are able to do blogmas because there’s no way i could. like you, my blog posts take a lot of time. i am a dietitian and a food blogger so i post a lot of recipes as well as health and nutrition tips thrown in so that also entails a lot of edited pics to go along with the recipes, research for up to date health tips, etc. i like the idea of blogmas but there’s no way i could put out the same quality content for 25 days straight. plus, i also work part time in a bread bakery and this is our busiest time of the year so i have zip time to myself starting october through the end of year so there’s also that lol

December 31, 2018 / 11:45 pm

Ahhhh 25 recipes sounds like soooooo much unecessary stress haha!

7. December 3, 2018 / 9:02 pm

These are really good points! I have a mini-version where I do the twelve days of Christmas just to shift a few of my reviews that I’ve got ready, and that has taken a few months to be able to get in the extra reading around the normal posts. Trying to think of 25 posts just related to Christmas – utmost respect for those that do. But I also completely get this – sometimes it can feel a little bit like you come across the same content everywhere, which is just a shame for whoever’s you land on last really. Great post!

December 31, 2018 / 11:44 pm

I did 12 days of Christmas last year and the year before! 25 was definitely a lot!

8. kelsey
    December 4, 2018 / 11:39 am

I give major props to anyone who does blogmas because I definitely do not have the dedication for the planning and writing that goes into it! Good luck with completing it this year!

December 4, 2018 / 8:39 pm

Thank you so much!

9. December 4, 2018 / 10:01 pm

I agree with so much of this! I find a lot of content around this time of year so samey and stale. The constant gift guides get boring and a lot of people just don’t produce content to their usual standard. It’s sad to read your favourite blogs and the posts just don’t hit the mark. I’m always so impressed when people do it well x

Sophie

December 5, 2018 / 11:00 am

Glad you agree!

10. December 5, 2018 / 11:20 am

I completely agree with everything you’ve mentioned in this post, and it’s why I won’t commit myself to a monthly challenge. Some of the bloggers I read are doing absolutely phenomenal jobs at it this year, and I think it’s so aspirational to be able to publish so many posts in such a short period of time without losing the quality, but it’s so hard to do. I know if I tried it my perfectionism would get the best of me and I’d drop out on like, the fourth day… probably even earlier, if I’m being honest. Best of luck with your blogmas journey, though! Prepping in advance seems to be the way to go.

Rebekah Gillian | https://rebekahgillian.co.uk

December 5, 2018 / 2:54 pm

Thank you so much! Yeah, prepping in advance was definitely best for me

11. December 5, 2018 / 9:11 pm

Saturation is something I worried about, and I was really thinking of not doing Blogmas again this year. But then in January someone told me how much they’d enjoyed it – someone who’d never liked or commented, and it made me think again. You have the page views, but you never really know who’s reading or enjoying your content because not everyone will do the things that we as bloggers come to focus on.
    I agree about samey content too, and I think this gets harder the more times you do it. I had the same solution as you and planned out all my post titles before committing to Blogmas 2018.
    I’m sure yours will be fine though because I know you put a lot of thought in to your posts XX

December 31, 2018 / 11:42 pm

I agree about the fact that not everyone does things that we bloggers focus on! It’s hard to measure “success” when a lot of people are just reading and enjoying without liking/commenting!

Jas x

12. December 10, 2018 / 5:42 pm

I agree that content is generally quite stale and samey, like you said. It’s either Christmas tags, gift guides or the perfect makeup looks for Christmas. Although im not bashing that content and do enjoy reading it, when im reading about 10 of the same stuff each day it can get quite annoying. I think blogmas shows creators as individuals who are either creative or follow the same pattern of the typical blog posts for blogmas. I like to spread my christmas content out in December and maybe do a gift guide and maybe 1 christmas makeup look but thats about it, i dont think id ever get the time to do blogmas anyway!

December 13, 2018 / 12:35 pm

I didn’t think I’d get the time to do Blogmas either, and honestly I probably shouldn’t have taken it on haha, and yeah I completely agree! I’m not bashing any of that content, but it sure does get very samey