So what are you doing next year?

So what are you doing next year?

Come July of this year, I will be out of education for the first time since I was 3 years old. Yep, final year has come sooner than expected, and graduation is around the corner, which means a whole lot of things. The final year of University comes with a variety of issues, and amongst the deadlines and dissertations lies that one dreaded question…

So what are you doing next year?

– said by everyone when you’re in final year, apparently.

I’m sorry, it’s too tempting. I have to ask it now.

Well, with a new term of Uni starting, it seems like I should answer this question once and for all.

So what are you doing next year?

Honestly, I don’t know.

You don’t know?!

Yep! And I’m absolutely fine with that.

Fine?!  FINE?!  But our future hangs in the balance! Take things more seriously woman.

That’s the thing, I am taking it seriously. I have a vague plan – I know I want to do a Masters, I know exactly what Masters I want to do and where I want to do it. But I know that I won’t be doing it next year.

What does that even mean?!

It means that I’ve been in education non-stop for 17 years. I’m tired and mentally exhausted, and I can’t jump into another year of education straight away. I never had a gap year and I always wonder whether that was a bad call… But now that I’m finishing off my degree, I want to take a post-uni gap year before I dive into a world of education and full time work.

All I’m hearing are excuses.

How dare you! You don’t know me like that.

In all seriousness though, I’ve actually put a lot of thought into this. I know me and I know my mind, and my massive tendancy to overwork. I need a breather before I overwork myself into the ground, and I’m going to use the year to gain experience, blog and travel. Not only will it make me more well-rounded (I plan to freelance for different publications and garner more work experience), but it will give me the refresher I need.

And how do you intend to finance this year off?

Gosh, you sound like my mother.

I don’t appreciate your tone.

Ideally, I’ll do 6 months working in some sort of job locally, and then I’ll use the money from that to travel for the other 6 months. That, plus my blog income and (minimal) savings should be enough to keep me afloat for a while. See, I do have a plan!

And you’re not worried?!

Honestly, not at all. I’ve spent my whole life worrying and overthinking my next step. I’m only 21, I have my whole life to sort myself out. The next year is the first year in my life that will be 100% dedicated to me and my hapiness. Better take it and run with it while I have the chance.

Okay I guess that makes sense…

It does, doesn’t it? And that’s why I’m not worried at all. In fact, I’m pretty excited for it all.

I’m excited too now!

Good! Because you can follow the whole process here on my blog! I’ve been a “student blogger” for as long as I’ve had this blog, so it will be excited to explore the next journey of my life. Follow me to keep up with these cool exciting times (Hint hint: the follow button’s in my sidebar).

What are you doing next year?  Let me know in the comments!

Lots of love,

Jas xx

TWITTER  |  INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK | YOUTUBE | RADIO

1. February 2, 2019 / 9:38 am

YES to taking a gap year! As someone who’s taken a gap year, I highly recommend students to take one before uni or after uni. Education can be mentally draining and you don’t realise the strain it has on you until you take a step back and you’re given time to live life, how YOU want to live it.

I’ll be at uni by the time you’re on your gap year but I do hope we get to shoot together and travel together at some point!

Wishing you the best for your dissertation and uni exams!

Fran | http://www.franciscarockey.co.uk

• thoughtsfromjasmine
      Author
      February 8, 2019 / 8:06 pm

I’m so glad that you recommend! I feel like I really need one after all this education. And YES! Next time I’m back in London we should definitely arrange something <3

2. February 2, 2019 / 9:43 am

I LOVE this post! I think as a generation we are constantly pushed to be thinking about the next thing (ironically, I have a post titled ‘do I worry too much about my future?’ coming up tomorrow) and I love that you’re taking time off to just exist and enjoy life! I think gap years after uni are such a great idea because the possibilities are endless; you may just get the experience you need and get a job in the sector you want without a masters, or you may just decide to stay in one country you visit for the rest of your life – WHO KNOWS?! I can’t wait to follow you on your journey.

Love, Soph x

• thoughtsfromjasmine
      Author
      February 8, 2019 / 8:05 pm

I’m so glad that you liked this! I really can’t wait to take a gap year, and like you said, I literally don’t know what will happen! But I know that I’ll be documenting it all on here <3

3. February 2, 2019 / 2:05 pm

I think it is an awesome idea to take a gap year and I believe that in some ways it can teach you maybe even more then a year at uni. I took a gap year during school (I still went to school, but in a different country) and another one after graduation and it was the best decision ever. Travelling and working abroad can teach you a lot about live !

• thoughtsfromjasmine
      Author
      February 4, 2019 / 10:34 am

Yeah, I’m really hoping it teaches me a lot!

4. February 2, 2019 / 3:03 pm

A gap year is a great idea. I did that and it really revitalized me!

• thoughtsfromjasmine
      Author
      February 4, 2019 / 10:33 am

Awwww that’s so good to hear!

5. February 3, 2019 / 12:09 pm

As someone who’s in a very similar situation this is refreshing to read. You have a bit more of a plan than I do but it’s nice to see someone embrace the uncertainty

• thoughtsfromjasmine
      Author
      February 4, 2019 / 10:33 am

Awww I’m glad this was refreshing! Yeah it’s nice to embrace the uncertainty!

6. February 7, 2019 / 11:33 am

I wish I’d done something like this! There’s so much pressure on you when you leave and it’s totally okay to not have a next step. Although it kinda sounds like you still have the next 5 steps planned on some level 😂 x

Sophie

• thoughtsfromjasmine
      Author
      February 8, 2019 / 7:55 pm

Haha you know me, I wouldn’t be me without some sort of vague plan 😉 But yeah, I’m so excited to just chill for a while!